Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cheaper to buy a pack of Durex...

The old Sharans are the same as the Ford Galaxy if you want something Fordy.

The Touran is a bit smaller but looks better, so partly depends on how much space you need.

1.9 TDI is fairly robust (except mine with the chocolate camshaft) but certainly not a refined engine.

be looking for the most space at back what i seen on pics not much room in both it be just for prams lol seen a seat alhambra  2.0 TDI and Peugeot 5008 HDI  7 seat ones but only 1.6 ones i can see

19 hours ago, lasthope said:

be looking for the most space at back what i seen on pics not much room in both it be just for prams lol seen a seat alhambra  2.0 TDI and Peugeot 5008 HDI  7 seat ones but only 1.6 ones i can see

The Alhambra is basically the same as the Galaxy & Sharan as well.  2.0 TDI could be either CR or PD depending on age, both can have weak points but are a little better than the 1.9PD.  

5008 uses the 8v 1.6 HDi same as the Mk3 Focus/Mk7 Fiesta.  More reliable than the 16v 1.6 TDCi in the Mk2 Focus but I can't imagine torquey enough for a car of that size! 

I'd go for the 2.0 TDI Alhambra out of those options I think.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The Alhambra is basically the same as the Galaxy & Sharan as well.  2.0 TDI could be either CR or PD depending on age, both can have weak points but are a little better than the 1.9PD.  

5008 uses the 8v 1.6 HDi same as the Mk3 Focus/Mk7 Fiesta.  More reliable than the 16v 1.6 TDCi in the Mk2 Focus but I can't imagine torquey enough for a car of that size! 

I'd go for the 2.0 TDI Alhambra out of those options I think.

Can you tell me what problems there are with the 16v 1.6 TDCi engine in the mk2, as my mk2 has done 128k miles and the only problem I have had is the egr valve, which was easily replaced.

24 minutes ago, MarkRS9 said:

Can you tell me what problems there are with the 16v 1.6 TDCi engine in the mk2, as my mk2 has done 128k miles and the only problem I have had is the egr valve, which was easily replaced.

Carbon deposits in the oil is what kills most of them off.  Poorly designed sump means you can never get all of the old oil out which leads to quick contamination of the new stuff.  Injector leaks and faulty EGR's add even more soot to the oil.  Excessive/failed DPFs regens adds raw diesel to the oil.  The turbo oil feed pipe runs by the DPF so the hot DPF regens cook the oil in the pipe.  There's a gauze in that pipe (on the early ones) which blocks up and starves the turbo of oil.  When the turbo pops you really have to replace the oil feed pipe, oil pump, clean the sump, flush the system through etc...and even then you can still get carbon left behind that subsequently breaks the next turbo.

I owned one myself for over 3 years/30k miles without any engine issues, but we are in the minority with that!!

17 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Carbon deposits in the oil is what kills most of them off.  Poorly designed sump means you can never get all of the old oil out which leads to quick contamination of the new stuff.  Injector leaks and faulty EGR's add even more soot to the oil.  Excessive/failed DPFs regens adds raw diesel to the oil.  The turbo oil feed pipe runs by the DPF so the hot DPF regens cook the oil in the pipe.  There's a gauze in that pipe (on the early ones) which blocks up and starves the turbo of oil.  When the turbo pops you really have to replace the oil feed pipe, oil pump, clean the sump, flush the system through etc...and even then you can still get carbon left behind that subsequently breaks the next turbo.

I owned one myself for over 3 years/30k miles without any engine issues, but we are in the minority with that!!

Thanks for the information, I always changed the oil and filter every 6k miles, think this probably helped mine stay healthy.

I've owned mine for 9 years and put 110k miles on it myself, has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 3:21 PM, TomsFocus said:

1.9 TDI is fairly robust (except mine with the chocolate camshaft) but certainly not a refined engine.

The 1.9 PD TDI will go on forever, as long as you use the correct oil to the right VW spec. If you don't say goodbye to those camshafts. I had a PD130 in my Fabia and always ran it on 5W-40 VW505.01 oil. I have heard the later Common Rail (CR) engines were more refined and quieter.

You don't say which year those cars are. Early cars will not have a DPF to worry about (my Fabia didn't have one). I can't remember which year they were introduced.