Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts on LED light upgrades?

Hi all, I have a 2017 ford fiesta MK8. Im thinking about converting the lights to LED, what are peoples thoughts and reviews in doing so? I don’t mind spending a little more on good quality bulbs so price isn’t an issue. Any experiences or reviews would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's worth bearing in mind that the previous grey area legislation has been clarified - retrofitting LED Bulbs into your existing lamp can be a MOT fail. 

If you want to retrofit them, the legal way to do it would be to do the whole headlamp, rather than just the bulbs. With it being mk8 at least this is a possibility - with mk7.5 there are no approved LED lamps unfortunately. I've reverted my 7.5 to standard due to this  

14 minutes ago, jbell said:

It's worth bearing in mind that the previous grey area legislation has been clarified - retrofitting LED bulbs into your existing lamp can be a MOT fail. 

If you want to retrofit them, the legal way to do it would be to do the whole headlamp, rather than just the bulbs. With it being mk8 at least this is a possibility - with mk7.5 there are no approved LED lamps unfortunately. I've reverted my 7.5 to standard due to this  

You would also need to fit a auto-levelling sensor to the rear suspension. If you retro fitted HIDs you would need headlight washers, but I don't think you do with LED Bulbs. But as said above, there are legal issues surrounding fitting these bulbs.

The easiest, safest and legal way to improve your headlights is to buy upgraded halogen bulbs. Either higher output (+ 150-200%) or buy bulbs with blueish coating that gives a whiter light.

Until recently I had an Edge. The lights were basic halogens and they were shocking. I replaced dipped / main / fogs and even the puddle lights in the mirrors with after market LED Bulbs

There can be issues with LED Bulbs being an MOT fail, but my car sailed through the MOT with them fitted and nothing was asked. As long as you get decent bulbs that do not affect your beam alignment, I can’t see any reason why it would fail an MOT. 

For the record, my LED’s didn’t give any better vision really, but the light was crisp and white and looked miles better than the standard halogens. There is a long thread on LED Bulbs in the Edge section of these forums. 

I appreciate everyones legal concerns however M.O.T’s will not be an issue and I understand the different regulations / laws surrounding them. If I do change the bulbs I will check and adjust the headlamp aim regardless of what I use.

Changing the headlights would be ideal, however I don’t believe its possible with the Mk8 unless I’m mistaken?  

Regarding L.E.D. Bulbs I was more hoping for a practicality point of view, worthiness, quality and functionality.

My experience with brighter headlight bulbs has been abismal . No matter what I used they never lasted long when I used to have a Corsa. (Due to them burning hotter fyi) But either way thats why I’m a little more sceptical regarding changing bulbs

Hi Luke and all,

Just to mention that there are YouTube videos showing how to swap out the standard halogen bulbs for LED Bulbs that fit the mk8 - see e.g. the channel R23SPK. 

I have a 68-plate titanium and asked at my dealer's parts dept if I could buy LED headlights from them,  seeing as later cars have them. I was told no as they wouldn't be compatible  with earlier cars 😣