Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Focus Mk4 Temperature Guage


Recommended Posts

I have a 2019 Focus 2.0 diesel which I got in July of last year with just on 2000 miles on the clock. The weather was warm and I never noticed anything unusual  about the temperature guage which makes me think it was sitting in the normal mid way position after probably 15 minuets of driving.

Then at the end of November I started to notice the tempratue guage had not moved off the bottom after 15 miles and 20 minuets driving. I put it down to the cold weather and me having the heater on. This last couple of weeks the slightly warmer weather has arrived but still my temprature guage is very slow to move off cold. Last week after nearly 30 miles it had only just made it about a quater of the way off the cold.

Is this a new thing? For the last 40 years I've never had a car take this long to warm up, apart from my trusty Mk2 Escort when the thermostat was broke !!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had mine out for an 8 mile run on the motorway this morning and still stone cold. On the return trip 10 minutes later it managed to get to quarter way.

Think I need to book it in to the daeler to get checked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, unofix said:

I had mine out for an 8 mile run on the motorway this morning and still stone cold. On the return trip 10 minutes later it managed to get to quarter way.

Think I need to book it in to the daeler to get checked.

I’m sure there’s differences between diesel and petrol but that sounds way too long to heat up. It’s a 19 plate so warranty work surely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ours rarely moves if at all on my 3.4 miles to work ( 10 minutes of driving).  Always take it for a longer run when off work but will keep an eye on it and see how long it takes to reach normal temp but that won't be until next Monday now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is pretty normal, your dealer will tell you so. Your not the only one noticing this with the ecoblue engine. 

Petrol 1.5 ecoboost uses far more fuel than a diesel therefore more and quicker heat energy produced . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, iantt said:

It is pretty normal, your dealer will tell you so. Your not the only one noticing this with the ecoblue engine. 

Petrol 1.5 ecoboost uses far more fuel than a diesel therefore more and quicker heat energy produced . 

It heats up quick and stays hot for ages after driving it. 
the ecoboost 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I go the long way round to work in the morning (5.7miles) there is a nice 2 mile of climb of national speed limit which I'm sure will make the temp gauge move. So will see if it does 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alex.S said:

It heats up quick and stays hot for ages after driving it. 
the ecoboost 

Exactly!! Nothing like the 2.0 ecoblue. There will always be a trade off. That's why diesels quite often have auxillary heating , earlier diesels had fuel fired heaters but modern diesels have electric elements in the heater/ climate control to warm the interior of vehicle. General consensus is to switch air con off until cabin is warming up. 

My old 16 plate Mondeo with the less efficient Peugeot based diesel 2.0 takes upwards of 10 miles to get to temp 

Another good reason  amougst others not to buy a modern diesel for short journey uses. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It also depends how quickly you drive... 

I can drive around town at max 40mph in gentle traffic for 20+ minutes and the needle will only start to lift (especially with the aux heater on!)...  However I can take a 'shortcut' that's just as long but on a national speed limit road and after a couple of minutes at 50+ the needle is already lifting.  So then the question becomes, do I burn more fuel by driving faster for a couple of miles on a cold engine, or do I save more fuel by heating up quicker and driving the remaining miles on a warm engine...? :g:

Of course, it's not that simple either, because on a longer journey it would be better to go for the quicker warm up knowing you've got plenty of miles to go, but on a shorter journey the remaining miles may not be enough to recoup the fuel wastage during warm-up...but where's the line between those 2. :ermm:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have noticed that the car does use slightly more fuel when driving around with a cold engine. When cold the instant MPG reports about 44.5 but doing the same trip when my engine eventually warms up is about 47.6 MPG.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

It also depends how quickly you drive... 

I can drive around town at max 40mph in gentle traffic for 20+ minutes and the needle will only start to lift (especially with the aux heater on!)...  However I can take a 'shortcut' that's just as long but on a national speed limit road and after a couple of minutes at 50+ the needle is already lifting.  So then the question becomes, do I burn more fuel by driving faster for a couple of miles on a cold engine, or do I save more fuel by heating up quicker and driving the remaining miles on a warm engine...? :g:

Of course, it's not that simple either, because on a longer journey it would be better to go for the quicker warm up knowing you've got plenty of miles to go, but on a shorter journey the remaining miles may not be enough to recoup the fuel wastage during warm-up...but where's the line between those 2. :ermm:

 

Haha. You're as bad as I am Tom 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, unofix said:

I have noticed that the car does use slightly more fuel when driving around with a cold engine. When cold the instant MPG reports about 44.5 but doing the same trip when my engine eventually warms up is about 47.6 MPG.

Mine returns better mpg in sport mode on shorter journeys even with a cold engine as you have better throttle response. I go into sport mode on my way to work as I have a busy motorway roundabout to negotiate which is a bit like " Wacky races" minus Penolope pitstop 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wino said:

Mine returns better mpg in sport mode on shorter journeys even with a cold engine as you have better throttle response. I go into sport mode on my way to work as I have a busy motorway roundabout to negotiate which is a bit like " Wacky races" minus Penolope pitstop 😄

I don't suppose you've ever compared all the different drive modes to see how different each one actually is?

Would be interesting to get a real world comparison of Eco vs sport etc but ive just never got around to it

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FezMan said:

I don't suppose you've ever compared all the different drive modes to see how different each one actually is?

Would be interesting to get a real world comparison of Eco vs sport etc but ive just never got around to

I have done on trips to Chapel st Leonard's ( 140 miles round trip) when weve gone to see the Father in law who lives out there from March to November and IIRC there was difference of around 8mpg between Eco and Normal. I think I posted the pictures on here a long time ago. My mistake. I haven't posted them on here 🤣 pics aren't on my phone either 😮 will see if I can find them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2021 at 8:11 PM, unofix said:

I have a 2019 Focus 2.0 diesel which I got in July of last year with just on 2000 miles on the clock. The weather was warm and I never noticed anything unusual  about the temperature guage which makes me think it was sitting in the normal mid way position after probably 15 minuets of driving.

Then at the end of November I started to notice the tempratue guage had not moved off the bottom after 15 miles and 20 minuets driving. I put it down to the cold weather and me having the heater on. This last couple of weeks the slightly warmer weather has arrived but still my temprature guage is very slow to move off cold. Last week after nearly 30 miles it had only just made it about a quater of the way off the cold.

Is this a new thing? For the last 40 years I've never had a car take this long to warm up, apart from my trusty Mk2 Escort when the thermostat was broke !!

I have the same issue...but not excactly an issue...i think weather conditions and the correct way of driving a diesel leads to a slower engine warming up.

There is a good sign on your driving habits....you drive your car as like you have an egg on your gas pedal...so you are not wearing your engine when it is cold.(I am driving the same way you do...if you do so...)

I never wait too long on idle, only a couple of minutes when my engine is cold at morning. When i start driving to work (10 minutes away) i drive as i mentioned above...

I think that you do not have any problem with your engine.

Have a good afternoon!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same engine as the OP and kept an eye on the temp gauge when I went out for a drive yesterday.  At about 5 miles it had not moved.  At 10 miles it was about a quarter and then next time I looked it was at half.  It was a gentle enough drive along A roads with roundabouts and a few 30 zones but no traffic jams.  I keep the a/c on auto cause I can't be bothered changing it and my previous Mk2 a/c packed up possibly due to not using it enough.  So I think this is normal for this engine and as said above a good reason to not use diesels for short journies.  I tend to use my wife's small petrol car locally around town and my diesel for anything over half an hour.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership