Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2005 ford mondeo reverse lights not working

Stevieg89

Hi my mondeo reverse lights are not working I've changed the bulbs fuse and sensor switch but still no reverse lights can someone please help me with what it could be as im out of guesses now thanks

Hi Steven, I would like to think this will be an easy fix but who knows.

You have replaced the gearbox reverse switch. Does it have only one wire connected or does it have two? let me know the answer to that and I will help you find the fault.

It has two wires it's for the 5 speed 

Good morning Steven, thanks for that information. If you disconnect the plug from the reverse sensor. Turn the ignition on (car does not need to be in reverse) and measure  the voltage on the connector (check each pin) with respect to negative. One of the wires should be 12V positive.

If you find you have 12V positive on one wire then using a scrap bit of wire join the two wires on the connector together and the reverse lights should come on.

Let me know what happens

13 minutes ago, unofix said:

Good morning Steven, thanks for that information. If you disconnect the plug from the reverse sensor. Turn the ignition on (car does not need to be in reverse) and measure  the voltage on the connector (check each pin) with respect to negative. One of the wires should be 12V positive.

If you find you have 12V positive on one wire then using a scrap bit of wire join the two wires on the connector together and the reverse lights should come on.

Let me know what happens

Yes there is 12v coming to it but still no reverse lights showing 

8 minutes ago, Stevieg89 said:

Yes there is 12v coming to it but still no reverse lights showing 

Yes I just done it with a paper clip and reverse lights are on now what do I do next

Hi Steven, Ok you have 12V to one side of the connector and even when you short this to the other wire there are no reverse lights.

You are going to need a long bit of wire (6 feet )and a meter for the next test. You need to take one of the bulbs out of the reverse light and then check for a short circuit between the centre pin of the reverse light and the wire on the connector that does Not have the 12V.

The reverse light circuit on your model is quite simple. When the ignition is on a 12V positive feed is on one side of the reverse switch. When the gearbox is put in to reverse then the switch is made and the 12V positive goes to the reverse light bulbs on the second wire.

Hi Steven, Excellent news. Forget about my last post. So you have only one of two problems. (1) The reverse light switch is faulty.  (2) There is a fault inside the gearbox with the part that activates the switch.

The fault with the gearbox would be extremly rare so lets forget that for now.

The failure of the switch is common. So either you have a faulty switch, or the switch is the wrong one for that gearbox, or its not being fully screwed in. At least now you know the problem is the switch

When I just connect wire the reverse lights came on 

• Like 1

Do you know what switch I would need please 

And also I had the same switch from a friends working mondeo same switch and still not working 

Hi, the best way would be to check with a Ford dealer since there are a couple of switches used around that time on your model. The most likely is this:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-MK5-2-0-TDCi-Genuine-Lemark-Reverse-Light-Switch-/294094564602?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=CjwKCAjw07qDBhBxEiwA6pPbHtKYHoDTJ2yuIuVqVzGvsqgREE87Gf6y0GXWbPkUeAxE3U0qy8E0XhoCwTwQAvD_BwE

Take your old switch out and ckeck it over carefully it will probably have a part number on it

And it's for a 2005 1.8lx 5speed

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club