Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo actuator / wastegate moving when idle? - help

LewisN2

Hi guys

i have been having some issues with my Ford Fiesta 1.0 eco boost 2013

i recently had the turbo replaced (second hand on eBay but was in mint condition) and has been fine up until recently 

I have noticed that the turbo actuator or wastegate (I think this is the same thing) is moving when the engine is on but in idle - is this normal behaviour? 

I was told that this could be the solenoid so I had this replaced - wasn’t the issue and I doubt the turbo as it’s been recently replaced 

which leaves me to assume it may be either a vacuum leak or the actuator itself 

Could anyone help/ advise - 

here is a YouTube video of my turbo wastegate

https://youtube.com/shorts/vb8QyLpKcGU?feature=share

• Sad 1

any performance related issues ?

• 6 months later...

My actuator does the same , any updates on this issue? My problem is that when i accelerate suddenly in 2nd or 3rd my turbo shuts down and the spanner lights up on the dashboard, if i shut down the engine and start it again the problem dissapears until i accelerate again

• Sad 1

Lewis, I would buy a diagnostic cable and get FORscan providing you have a Windows based PC then you can get a fault code from the car ECU which will help no end with whats going wrong. 

On the 1.0 the wastegate on the turbo is open and is closed by the vaccume pump via a solonid which is controled by the ECU. 

• 1 year later...

I know this is old but did anybody solve the issue. Mine is doing exactly the same. Had a new turbo fitted as it was noisy and the shaft had lots of play but keep getting this issue and overboost fault code

On 11/3/2021 at 9:00 PM, Drachmus said:

My actuator does the same , any updates on this issue? My problem is that when i accelerate suddenly in 2nd or 3rd my turbo shuts down and the spanner lights up on the dashboard, if i shut down the engine and start it again the problem dissapears until i accelerate again

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/3/2022 at 8:36 PM, sRyans said:

I know this is old but did anybody solve the issue. Mine is doing exactly the same. Had a new turbo fitted as it was noisy and the shaft had lots of play but keep getting this issue and overboost fault code

I have exact same issue as you mate. Did you manage to find the issue ?

• 2 months later...

I’ve just recently had the same issue , replaced the boost Solonoid for a cheap £25 one off eBay , turns out that was the problem. Purchased a expensive pierburg one and the wastegate is opening as it should again 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club