Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering problems - Impact Damage

BobFordGalaxy

Hi all,

Hoping that the mechanics among you will be able to give help and advice please?

I have a Galaxy Titanium on a 62 plate.  I skidded on black ice into a kerb recently, steering on full lock as I went around a roundabout, which buckled the alloy on my nearside wheel.  Since the impact there has been vibration in the steering while driving and this becomes quite exaggerated when braking.  Took the car to a garage where they popped it up on a ramp and they couldn't see any obvious damage to the steering system other than the wheel being buckled.

I've replaced the alloy (unrepairable) and put new tyres on the car, plus had 4 wheel tracking done to try and get the car running smoothly again.  Do any of you have a good idea what I should look to get replaced as I don't want to have to keep going back to a garage several times replacing single components on each occasion as that will allow them to rack up the labour times - think it would be better to get it all done in one hit.

Quite annoying as the intent for the middle of this year was to trade in and get a new Galaxy (probably FHEV) so I don't want to have to Shell out too much cash on a car I had only intended keeping until July.

Any advice on components to get will be welcomed and I thank you in advance.

BobFord

Have you jacked the car up which took the impact and spun the disc, look to see if anything looks untrue - whilst it's up check the track rod end - check the drive shaft - put it on axle stands - start the engine and look at the moving parts - turning left & right - also look at the wishbone, see if there are any distortions...... best you look for yourself as some mechanics can't be a*rsed with such jobs. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, had the same issue with our steering wheel about 2016. After we got our car back from Ford following a service, the steering wheel started vibrating, turning was difficult and breaking, the steering would shake more. We took our Ford Galaxy back and after inspection we were told the steering rack had gone. As it was a sealed part, they couldn't strip it down. Cost to repair? £1,100. We had no choice but to get the job done. Looking back, I have a sneaking suspicion Ford had kerbed our car. 

I don't know the part number (sorry), but our car has been running fine since. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club