Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OBD2 scanners for test driving

AbingDan

Hi, so, as part of my looking at £3000, MK4 estates at about 2010(ish) and 150k miles, part of my "car checks" I was thinking of an OBD2 reader?

Of course, any fault lights will have been put out I'm sure, but I would always hope a decent 30minute plus test drive may relight any?  And it will be useful to know what they are?

Likewise, some readers let you know when a reset on a light was last done?

I am not a mechanic, but an eager learner and willing to be educated.

Any advice regards what scanner to get?

Any advice in general regarding its use?

I'll have lots of questions, as I go on my Mondeo journey.  Hopefully ownership and DIY maintenance will enable me to contribute back to the forum eventually!

Thanks you!

I don't think many people selling their car would let you plug anything into their Diagnostic Port. The best thing you could do is to check that the warning lights  comes on for a few seconds when the ignition is switched on, then go off in case any of them has been removed or blanked off. This is not fool proof because they can be rigged by someone clever enough.

If you are definitely going to buy a Ford car then FORScan on a Windows Laptop or phone is miles better than a cheap code reader. Cheap OBD readers often can only read the OBD codes and not the much more useful Ford specific ones, plus a lot of them can not access anything other than the engine and do not hive access to Live Data or service Procedures.   

• 2 months later...

I know its a few months old now, but on the last couple of cars I have bought, I've always asked to plug in and check for any faults, and they've always said that's OK. After all, if there's nothing wrong, there's nothing to hide?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club