Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ARGH COMPULSORY COLLISION ASSIST

Guy Heaton

I can't stand my collision assist, it goes off if a gnat farts five miles away.  The only saving grace was I could stop it from auto-braking and it would remember the setting.

Not anymore.  Since my service I noticed that my all my vehicle settings had gone back to default, probably a software update.

Now, it sets the auto braking to on at every lock/unlock cycle.  

Bah, now I am forced to have something I don't want or trust, unless I manually change the setting on every start.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

I can't stand my collision assist, it goes off if a gnat farts five miles away.  The only saving grace was I could stop it from auto-braking and it would remember the setting.

Not anymore.  Since my service I noticed that my all my vehicle settings had gone back to default, probably a software update.

Now, it sets the auto braking to on at every lock/unlock cycle.  

Bah, now I am forced to have something I don't want or trust, unless I manually change the setting on every start.

A car pulled out of a side turning, I either had to slam my brakes on so that I didn't go into the back of the car, in my case though I would get close to the backside and pull out to overtake and make a point, the collision assist flashed up it was very distracting when I was overtaking the car, not sure if it applied the brakes but is very dangerous especially if there was oncoming traffic, I hate it too, I think I would be aware enough if I was going to hit something, I use my eyes and my brain.

• Like 2

Mine goes off on empty roads, no vehicles (Parked or moving) or pedestrians! I once had it go off on an empty dual carriageway!

It's yet to go off in traffic.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Graham B said:

Mine goes off on empty roads, no vehicles (Parked or moving) or pedestrians! I once had it go off on an empty dual carriageway!

It's yet to go off in traffic.

All the safety devices seem quite dangerous, I thought I was in auto braking, but at some stage it must have turned itself off, as it started rolling towards the car in front.

I've yet to work out why Auto Hold turns it's self off from time to time. I've drove automatics for over 20 years and lived without auto hold, and so its no hardship just to keep my foot on the brake, but now I find sometimes I don't need to and other times I do - confused.com !! 🙄

3 minutes ago, unofix said:

I've yet to work out why Auto Hold turns it's self off from time to time. I've drove automatics for over 20 years and lived without auto hold, and so its no hardship just to keep my foot on the brake, but now I find sometimes I don't need to and other times I do - confused.com !! 🙄

To be fair I'm using auto lights, but it wasn't too much hardship turning a switch, maybe they think we are all stupid now and need auto everything.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nimrodmk8 said:

auto lights

now a UK requirement, funny how things change. I see automatic speed limiters are about to be introduced in the next couple of years, seeing the way the police drive I think limiting their speed will be a good thing 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, unofix said:

now a UK requirement, funny how things change. I see automatic speed limiters are about to be introduced in the next couple of years, seeing the way the police drive I think limiting their speed will be a good thing 🤣

You mean you have SEEN a police patrol car? I thought they had become extinct!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anything Auto - "Reactive"

Human Brain - "Proactive"

I know what I prefer.

• Like 2

Human brain - tired, stressed, distracted by 12 other things, small field of vision at any one time... :g:

• Like 2

On 7/6/2021 at 11:01 AM, Nimrodmk8 said:

A car pulled out of a side turning, I either had to slam my brakes on so that I didn't go into the back of the car, in my case though I would get close to the backside and pull out to overtake and make a point, the collision assist flashed up it was very distracting when I was overtaking the car, not sure if it applied the brakes but is very dangerous especially if there was oncoming traffic, I hate it too, I think I would be aware enough if I was going to hit something, I use my eyes and my brain.

The video that was playing the last time I visited my local Ford main dealer, appeared to be demonstrating the "Collision Assist/Automatic Braking" on a three lane motorway.  With a car pulling out from lane 1 into lane 2 to overtake a lorry, the adversely affected car in lane 2 applied the brakes, despite lane 3 being empty.  A proactive system would have detected that an overtake manoeuvre was likely to take place due to the closing of the car in lane 1 to the lorry, and moved out into an empty lane 3 if safe to do so, if not, the proactive system may well have eased off rather than waste energy by leaving it too late and appying the brakes.

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Human brain - tired, stressed, distracted by 12 other things, small field of vision at any one time... :g:

Tom,

I cannot argue with that, apart from "don't drive tired or stressed".

Bur what baffles me, is how many modern cars drive with tyres on white lines, and only have DRLs on in the dark or fog, despite the growth of lane departure systems, and auto lights ?

• Like 1

Hopefully the feature you have is Collision Avoidance. I cant see Collision Assist being a very popular feature. 🙂 

• Haha 7

In the situation paulkp describes I would have noticed that the car in lane 1 needed to pull out and gone into lane 3 early.

Sounds arrogant but I do believe in observation and anticipation 

I don't see how any computer can do that.  It comes from decades of doing many motorway miles.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulkp said:

Tom,

I cannot argue with that, apart from "don't drive tired or stressed".

Bur what baffles me, is how many modern cars drive with tyres on white lines, and only have DRLs on in the dark or fog, despite the growth of lane departure systems, and auto lights ?

Probably because people turn off these systems believing thier brain to be superior...and then forget to switch the lights on because they were distracted by the pretty colour of the moon... :biggrin:

On a serious note though, the reality of modern life means that most of us will be tired or stressed most of the time.  Not driving under those conditions would be impossible for many.  I'm absolutely not suggesting a computer is always better than a person (after all, the people programming them are also tired and stressed!) but personally I do feel safer with more driver aids.

I don't.  I work with computers and they are NOT logical 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

I don't.  I work with computers and they are NOT logical 😂

You're lucky you don't have to work with my brain!! :laugh:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, unofix said:

I've yet to work out why Auto Hold turns it's self off from time to time

Not sure on the logic , but taking my car for a hand wash ..kinda in a queue whilst getting it washed. Stopping and starting a few times turns the Auto hold off. battery saving maybe 🤔 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You're lucky you don't have to work with my brain!! :laugh:

They say wait until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes. Try 10 minutes in my brain . 😆 

• Haha 2

On 7/6/2021 at 9:23 AM, Guy Heaton said:

The only saving grace was I could stop it from auto-braking and it would remember the setting.

Are you sure about that Guy. This is a cut and paste from my handbook, your one may be different,

Note:   Active braking and evasive steering assist turn on each time you switch the ignition on.

Note:   If you turn active braking off, evasive steering assist also turns off.

I think the alert sensitivity level stays at whatever it is set at although that might have changed after a visit to a dealer.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club