Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

When is 2p worth €2?

StephenFord

Just back from a weekend in Donegal, first time out of NI since lockdown last year. On the drive back, we always stop in at Aldi to do a 'shop' as they don't operate in NI and it's something different. On trying to get a trolley, I couldn't get my €1 coin to work at all, till I read the sign saying that a trolley was €2! On hearing us struggle to get a coin which between us neither if us had, a 'local' approached us and asked if we were from 'the North', on confirmation, she said, if we had a 2p coin on us, it would work. Sure enough, on putting in my 2p coin, it released the €2 trolley!

Probably of very limited use to anyone else here, but it sure got an experiment developed in my head for our next visit to Donegal, and some vending machines in mind LOL 🤣

• Haha 2

That's inflation for you. 

I'm surprised they don't go the whole hog and put a card reader on trolleys these days. 

I've never understood the paying for trolleys thing...are lazy people really that bothered about getting a quid back they'll put the trolley back?  I've even seen the coin things at Waitrose!! :laugh: 

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I've never understood the paying for trolleys thing...are lazy people really that bothered about getting a quid back they'll put the trolley back?  I've even seen the coin things at Waitrose!! :laugh: 

A few months back I made a £1 profit on a trolley! I released one using a worthless supermarket plastic token. My partner then went back to return trolley, then handed me a £1 coin in the car, 'there's your money' she said. But, I only put a plastic token in I said. She looked horrified. She had 'sold' the trolley to an elderly man who was about to get his own trolley. I'm sure that guy to this day thinks he was scammed by a nice lady in Lidl LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I used to have a trolley coin on my keyring, till i lost it now its a faff to keep a quid as you dont see the coins anymore.

As an aside i was having this discussion with someone who then proceeded to inforn me that they use the opening key from a tin of corned beef etc and then demonstrated, b***er me it worked.

I'm sure someone must have created a foldaway shopping trolley you can put in the boot of your car. If not, I'm applying for the patent. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

I'm sure someone must have created a foldaway shopping trolley you can put in the boot of your car. If not, I'm applying for the patent. 

Already done buddy LOL

57 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

You could make one like an ambulance stretcher, so you just push it towards the boot and the legs fold up underneath.  Then just pull it out and the legs drop back down.  You'd also make a killing on bumper protectors! :biggrin: 

53 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Those aren't as great as they seem.  Have to lean right down to put anything or take anything out.  And they're pretty heavy too tbh. :sad:   

• Sad 1

Odd that everyone concentrated on a 'shopping trolley' issue whereas the thing that struck me was the theoretical conversion of £1 = €100 LOL 🤣

• Haha 3

Interesting.... I must try the Electric meter next time we go to Chapel st Leonard's as that only operates on £2 coins, hopefully it might have the same effect albeit not being a "Euro" coin....is there much difference ? 

10 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Just back from a weekend in Donegal, first time out of NI since lockdown last year. On the drive back, we always stop in at Aldi to do a 'shop' as they don't operate in NI and it's something different. On trying to get a trolley, I couldn't get my €1 coin to work at all, till I read the sign saying that a trolley was €2! On hearing us struggle to get a coin which between us neither if us had, a 'local' approached us and asked if we were from 'the North', on confirmation, she said, if we had a 2p coin on us, it would work. Sure enough, on putting in my 2p coin, it released the €2 trolley!

Probably of very limited use to anyone else here, but it sure got an experiment developed in my head for our next visit to Donegal, and some vending machines in mind LOL 🤣

If you were a regular Aldi customer then you would have loads of coins left for the trolley 😉👍🏻

If your ever in Castleblayney Co.Monaghan make sure to stop in to Water's Maxol station on the exit of the town heading for Carrickmacross, 

I highly recommend buying a Southern Fried Chicken fillet burger & chips, from there take-away,

Absolutely best tasting burger in the entire island of Ireland, proper big chicken breast and proper southern fried covering; not dry atall with proper helmens mayo, lettuce and a big slice of tomato on a huge bun. 

https://m.facebook.com/watterscastleblaney/ 

I be up there the odd time visiting family; I always be sure to get at least one, 😅

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigLen said:

If your ever in Castleblayney Co.Monaghan make sure to stop in to Water's Maxol station on the exit of the town heading for Carrickmacross, 

We were in Ballybofey - a fair distance away LOL

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, StephenFord said:

We were in Ballybofey - a fair distance away LOL

Shir you would work up a good hunger on the journey down 😂

I drove the entire circumference of Ireland in the focus, in the days after we got married; was in some lovely parts of Donegal, was also in the giants causeway and also drove up to and entered the focus in to ford fair in Antrim back in 2015 although two lads kept asking me "when was I going home" and I hadn't even gotten the car positioned for display at that point 😂 I was purely there for the show, nothing to do with north or south or anything else just to be a part of something good was all. 

6 minutes ago, BigLen said:

...and entered the focus in to ford fair in Antrim back in 2015 although two lads kept asking me "when was I going home" and I hadn't even gotten the car positioned for display at that point

You just reminded me that we attended a car show in Letterkenny a few years back, at the time I was driving my Celica GT4. On queuing to get into the car park, all the cars were being directed to the right, but when it came to me, the guy directed me to the left and I just assumed they had opened an overflow car park. But no, I was firmly directed into the 'exhibitors' display area - I was so proud, and ever so glad I had washed the car! LOL Parked her up, left bonnet open, and walked round the rest of the show!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You just reminded me that we attended a car show in Letterkenny a few years back, at the time I was driving my Celica GT4. On queuing to get into the car park, all the cars were being directed to the right, but when it came to me, the guy directed me to the left and I just assumed they had opened an overflow car park. But no, I was firmly directed into the 'exhibitors' display area - I was so proud, and ever so glad I had washed the car! LOL Parked her up, left bonnet open, and walked round the rest of the show!

Nice car, my brother has a red 1995 ST202 frog eye Celica similar to the GT4 but not 4 wheel drive and no turbo, heavy car compared to my AE111 Toyota Levin BZR which I let him test drive once, he got outside if his estate; tuned right, floored it and immediately it went sideways 😂

4 minutes ago, BigLen said:

Nice car, my brother has a red 1995 ST202 frog eye Celica similar to the GT4 but not 4 wheel drive and no turbo, heavy car compared to my AE111 Toyota Levin BZR which I let him test drive once, he got outside if his estate; tuned right, floored it and immediately it went sideways 😂

Oh OK, if you insist, here is a pic of the old girl... LOL

922531601_celicaGT4noplateLoRes.thumb.jpg.d8b52489e6406ec5fcf80c8d7e9769ad.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

My first weekend at a B&Q store who had trolley deposits many years ago on a busy Sunday - after we closed a load of us had to go out and bring trolleys back. I made £15, It was more than an hours wages - and I was the store manager!! Been a big fan ever since. 😜 if people are too lazy to  return em then at least the trolley collector gets a bonus. In Liverpool kids used to hang out in the Asda car park and offer to take your trolley back, thay made a ***** fortune!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I attended the Rollhard show in Cressing Temple back in 2016 in a bit of a panic (story of my life tbh!).  Anyway it was a place I hadn't been before and the furthest I'd been from home for about 4 years by a long shot.  I'd managed the empty roads ok but hadn't considered how big the queues would be so early on.  I hate being trapped in queues but there were two lanes so I took the shorter one on the right hand side.  Which was fine until the queues suddenly became separated by a fence...and I didn't realise I was in the 'show' queue until it was too late! :laugh:  I had to awkwardly ask one of the parking attendants to move a temporary fence so I could get back through to the public parking. :blush:

However, that wasn't the end...as I walked into the show, I was following a couple of youngsters who had arrived in a more modified car (Polo iirc) and had met up with another of their acquaintances.  I just caught the end of their convo...  'Honestly mate, it was literally the same as the Focus my Nan drives, not even lowered, and they wanted to show it!' 

:cry: :crybaby: 

I didn't educate them on the fact it was a Titanium with optional X pack full leathers, xenons, tints and powerfold mirrors...  With a 140bhp remap, retrofitted cruise control, colour coded grills and pressed plates...  Basically sleeper spec... :wink: :laugh: 

• Haha 1

If you have a 1985 Irish 20p piece its worth ten grand. The only made a few in 1985 for testing they only officially came out in 1986 they are still worth 20p

1 hour ago, Paul_Ireland said:

If you have a 1985 Irish 20p piece its worth ten grand. The only made a few in 1985 for testing they only officially came out in 1986 they are still worth 20p

Useless for shopping trolleys though 😂

• Like 2

15 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Useless for shopping trolleys though 😂

Everything on wheels was capable of going sideways in the 80's 👍🏻

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BigLen said:

Everything on wheels was capable of going sideways in the 80's 👍🏻

Even my 2000E Cortina could but not the Hillman Avenger

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club