Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stuck in gear

Panyg2

I've just had a strange issue with my car and I was wondering if anyone has any idea what could be wrong.

I was driving for about 10 miles and I stopped at a junction to turn left. The car was in neutral and I tried to change to 1st but the gear stick wouldn't go into an gears. The car stalled and when I tried to start, the car struggled for 10 seconds before starting (felt as if the battery was flat). I tried a few times to change to 1st gear and it managed to go into 1st. But then it was stuck in 1st.

I turned on my hazard lights and brought the car home slowly in 1st gear. I parked in my driveway and turned off the engine. A few minutes later, I started the car again and everything is back to normal! I turned off the engine, started again and everything is still fine. I reversed and went forward a few times and everything is back to normal. 

Does anyone know what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A few things to add, the car was not used for a month as I was away. However, I have made 5 or 6 short journeys over the last week.

Also, my car is keyless start and I was getting messages about the battery being low, plus messages that it couldn't find the key. Probably a total coincidence but I thought I would mention it.

Try changing the battery in the key and see if it makes a difference.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bobr said:

Try changing the battery in the key and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the advice, I've changed the battery now. The fact that it started working normally with the same battery makes me wonder, plus the car is needed for an urgent medical appointment but I don't know if I can risk the same thing happening again.

Sounds very much like a clutch problem where the clutch would not disengage. I wonder if you have a seal that has picked up on the slave cylinder. If it happens again, try pumping the clutch pedal and if you can select a gear, that will probably be the reason. No cheap solution to that, I'm afraid; gearbox needs to come off to replace it.

• 10 months later...

Hi I have the same problem did you solve this I had new clutch kit replaced and happened again.. happens about once a month 

• 6 months later...

I have this with my 66 plate fiesta. I have ask Ford to look into it but it will cost me £200+ nr to £300 for yhem to take it for a test drive an that's the only help they can give me. I told them that the problem was very unlikely to happen on the test drive as its only something that happens from time to time

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club