Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Focus 1.6TDCI Titanium Estate

Bieljibum

Hello John, I was not aware that the 2010 Focus had LED tail lights. If these are after market lights then it would be difficult to say if the LEDs can be replaced or not.

Could it be that these are the original Ford lights which have been fitted with LED lamps ?

58 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hello John, I was not aware that the 2010 Focus had LED tail lights.

Mk2 facelifts with xenon headlights got LED tail lights as part of the package.  :smile: 

The LED strip isn't replaceable as far as I'm aware, you'll have to replace the whole unit.  I would have thought there were quite a few in scrapyards by now but the Xenon/LED lights were a fairly uncommon option.

22 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Mk2 facelifts with xenon headlights got LED tail lights as part of the package.  :smile: 

The LED strip isn't replaceable as far as I'm aware, you'll have to replace the whole unit.  I would have thought there were quite a few in scrapyards by now but the Xenon/LED lights were a fairly uncommon option.

Thanks for that.  I just rang a local scrapyard and they said they had one in but when I got there and showed them my part they hadn't got one, grrrrr. The actual tail light is LED but all the others are normal bulbs. I have looked everywhere for one the same and I found a new one but it was £130.00 which is grieving me a little because it's all ok except for the tail light.  A photo of mine is attached.  Most ones I find have the Honeycomb effect but I'm not sure if they will fit my car.

Regards

20211101_124128.jpg

22 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks Tom

14 minutes ago, Bieljibum said:

Thanks for that.  I just rang a local scrapyard and they said they had one in but when I got there and showed them my part they hadn't got one, grrrrr. The actual tail light is LED but all the others are normal bulbs. I have looked everywhere for one the same and I found a new one but it was £130.00 which is grieving me a little because it's all ok except for the tail light.  A photo of mine is attached.  Most ones I find have the Honeycomb effect but I'm not sure if they will fit my car.

Regards

20211101_124128.jpg

The ones with honeycomb lenses are the standard lights, the LED ones are only vertical stripes.   The wiring is different so it's not a straight swap, and of course you'd have to change to other side to a standard light as well if you did that.

I think it's a thin strip with about 5 LEDs in isn't it?  If it's just a single LED and you're handy with electronics then maybe you could disassemble the light and try to find an LED in a similar size.  I've never seen anyone attempt it though!

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 12:18 PM, TomsFocus said:

The ones with honeycomb lenses are the standard lights, the LED ones are only vertical stripes.   The wiring is different so it's not a straight swap, and of course you'd have to change to other side to a standard light as well if you did that.

I think it's a thin strip with about 5 LEDs in isn't it?  If it's just a single LED and you're handy with electronics then maybe you could disassemble the light and try to find an LED in a similar size.  I've never seen anyone attempt it though!

Hi and thanks for that.  I'm not sure what the LED's look like to be honest, I don't know how to separate the layers of plastic to get at them and am nervous about breaking it trying, is there any way to split them easily do you know?

Many thanks.

23 minutes ago, Bieljibum said:

Hi and thanks for that.  I'm not sure what the LED's look like to be honest, I don't know how to separate the layers of plastic to get at them and am nervous about breaking it trying, is there any way to split them easily do you know?

Many thanks.

There would be a high risk of breaking unfortunately, they're really not designed to come apart.  The best chance you'd have would be heating up the edges with a hairdryer and gently trying to prise them apart bit by bit.

I have found the part number 1520776 and found a sold out listing on eBayGenuine Ford Focus Mk2 N/S Rear Light Lamp Unit Led Lens Only 07-11 1520776 | eBay

It's possible that they are no longer manufactured but personally I'd send Rates Ford a message through eBay to ask if they can source one for you - at £80 it's considerably cheaper than the other one you were quoted for.  

• Like 1

The plastic lense is ultrasonically welded to the plastic back. There is no way to break the bond apart as the plastic has fused together.

It might be possible with a lot of time and patience to use something like a Dremel tool with a small cutting disc to cut between the back and the lense.