Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 3 focus titanium 2 litre diesel - Turbo issue ?

David.

Hi , 

When driving my car in normal conditions , when the turbo comes in I now hear a whooshing air sound ( bit like compressed air ) .Cars not running very well, idles smooth as you like but under light acceleration it Judders as if it is being starved of fuel .

I have recently changed the MAF sensor as It came up with an error saying it was a problem. still not running right , next stop is the fuel filter , in the meantime I need to check the turbo out .has anybody had similar problems ?

Are there any guides to maintain / check the turbo 

Thanks in advance .

19 hours ago, David. said:

when the turbo comes in I now hear a whooshing air sound ( bit like compressed air )

19 hours ago, David. said:

I have recently changed the MAF sensor as It came up with an error saying it was a problem

From those two observations I'd say it's almost certainly a split hose. When looking for a split in rubber hoses bear in mind that it will close up when the engine's not running so may be hard to spot. If you can, get someone to rev the engine whilst you look for it.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike,

I have had a look and the pipe from the intercooler to the engine intake has a whacking great split in it !

I have patched it up for now but need to buy a new one .

Anybody have have any ideas where to get a replacement, not from Ford , they want £87 for it .

I have put a photo on .

Car is a 2012 mk 3 Titanium 2litre diesel.

Thanks.

intercooler pipe.jpg

I've seen others on this forum recommend replacing with silicon rubber hose but I've no personal experience of this. I can only suggest doing a search on eBay. Hopefully one of the more experienced members will be along soon with suggestions.

I have tried searching eBay , not sure what the part number for the hose/pipe is and there is a great variety and I want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks for your reply 👍

I've you search via your vehicle VIN here, you should be able to find the original part and Ford part number.

Although a different engine (1.8 TDCi) I can confirm that having replaced 1 of the factory fitted hoses about 7 years ago with a silicone part, the replacement is still going strong (silicone is inherently more durable than the vulcanised rubber used in the factory fitted parts).

• Like 1