Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem with my engine stop start

SMITS388277

Hi I've recently bought a 1 litre eco boost focus 16 plate from Arnold clark. I've had the car since the 30th of December and to date the engine stop start has not once kicked in I just get the A circled and a line through the A when I stop and put the car into neutral.

I have not done any long journeys in the car since I bought it and the car has probably been parked up for a while in the dealership but I thought I would ask the question here before I contact the seller.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, SMITS388277 said:

I have not done any long journeys in the car since I bought it and the car has probably been parked up for a while in the dealership

That'd do it!

The stop start is very fussy, the battery has to be fully charged, and the car must be pulling a low electrical load (no heated windscreens/ heated seats etc.).

A 6 year old battery won't be helping either. You'll find it might kick in less often than you expect once you do go on a long journey.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your help I was considering buying a battery charger to maybe charge it fully but the price of a good one I might as well buy a new battery.

Thanks again 

1 hour ago, SMITS388277 said:

Thanks for your help I was considering buying a battery charger to maybe charge it fully but the price of a good one I might as well buy a new battery.

Thanks again 

I would recommend a Maypole charger. Reasonable price and does the job. 

• Thanks 1

TBH the stop/start is more trouble than it's worth. Unless you are routinely held up in queues in an urban area it's really not worth worrying about and just think of the wear and tear it's saving on the starter motor and flywheel ring gear.

When I bought our Mk3 in 2016 the stop/start worked sporadically for a few weeks then stopped. I didn't bother with it and ran the car until 2020 when the battery finally gave up. After I changed the it (it was a Ford one so quite possibly original and eight years old) the stop/start began working again and has been ever since. The point here is the stop/start stopped working when the battery was only four years old but the battery went on for another four years without any other problems.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andyr55 said:

I would recommend a Maypole charger. Reasonable price and does the job. 

I love recommending the MayPole LOL Cheap as chips, and does all the stuff £100 chargers do!

841596646_Maypole7423.thumb.jpg.6e67eb76ee9821f50eb40f090dcb192f.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club