Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adaptive Throttle Control

Bunglefuzz

I'm on my second 1998 ford fiesta, the first was a zetec and this new one is a kent engine. The problem being common to both cars.

The problem is over reving, or revs that hang in the air for seconds and sometimes indefinitly after you let off the throttle.

I drive using the heel and toe technique, it's better for the car and makes a much smoother change, but I believe the car is trying to be clever and guessing what I'm doing, and getting it all soooooooo wrong.

When I come off the motorway I slip it out of gear, clutchless, and the revs will stay high, around four thousand, until I either slow down below 30, or until I dip the clutch.

Whilst changing up through the gears the revs hang high, over loading the clutch and making all other problems.

It has been suggested that the throttle is sticking, a common fault apparently, but then why does driving using the clutch more help solve the problem ?

If I disconnect the battery the problem goes away completely for at least 2 days. Thus substantiating a problem with some kind of addaptive throttle control.

Questions....

What do I do ?

How can I disarm any such ECU new world trickery ???

Many thanks.

Can nobody even direct me to a company that would know more about it ?

Ford garages seem to scratch their heads, so I'm relutant to pay their fees if they dont know how to tackle it.

Can nobody even direct me to a company that would know more about it ?

Ford garages seem to scratch their heads, so I'm relutant to pay their fees if they dont know how to tackle it.

Is it worth spending good money on a 12 year old car,trying to resolve a problem which seems to be unique to yourself.

Dave

It astounds me that no one else has had this problem, this is my second Fiesta and the problem is common to both.

Yes it is an old car, but a very clean one indeed, and one that I was intending to keep for quite a few years.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club