Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Column Wheel Noise Ford Fiesta 1.4 LPG

Mirko29497
聽Share

Hi Guys, i write this topic because i have a annoying noise on the Steering Wheel. I know this is a famous problem of Fiesta Mk7 and i follow some tutorial. Infact i have try to put the grease on the Steering Column beetwen the two column but the noise is not resolved. I have do a Video to show the problem.... Beyond the knocking noise, you can lissen another motor/electric noise but this you can listen only when you turn the steering wheel on left. To fix this problem, i have try to invert the front wheels and during the days this noise is improved but in random moment the noise re-present.聽

I don't understand what the problem 馃槥

Thanks for the helps!

not sure what the knock/clunk is but i have the same issue on my 2007 fiesta 1.4TDCI also greased the knuckle but no change. if you happen to find the problem please post the results here for others. if i happen to work out what it is in mean time i will do the same and share the information on what i came across.

Thanks for the reply!

Your Fiesta is Mk6, right ? The Fiesta Mk6 had the Power Steering Mecanical, my Fiesta Mk7 had Electric Power Steering. I don't know if the functionality is the same.... I will try two attempts:

- The First attempts : i will try to Charge the battery, because some days ago i have do traveled for one hour and half and when i was arrived at home, the meccanical noise was disappeared.聽 I have checked the voltage with a multimeter and the battery showed 12.8 V (engine off). Next day, i have checked again the value of battery, and it was 12.4 V. I doesn't an expert eletrician, but on internet says 12.4 V is low power battery. I will try to Charge it, being electric power steering i think it's need a lot of energy...

- The Second attempt : I will go to regular the convergence of the front wheels, because when i try to go ahead, the car go slowly to left (the noise appear when i turn the steering wheel to left). I have also noticed the steering wheel is sligthly heavy when turn on left than right. I have inflated the wheels but the result is the same (i have wheels measure 195/60/15, on the manual says 2.1 bar in front and 1.8 bar in rear, but for me the best handling is 2.4 bar in front and 2.2 bar in rear).

For the knock noise, there is a video tutorial to fix this famous problem on the Fiesta Mk7. I'm italian and i have most difficul to undestand what he say but i have undestand the problem came from the top CV Joint of the Steering Column. I don't know how to grease this part correctly without remove the Steering Column (the pins are very heavy to unscrew)

ok new update time, its been a few days since i done mine and not the knock (and sticking) feels free and silent. i didn't even see the bottom joint so didn't grease that. what i done with mine was got a tin of spray lithium grease, covered my pedals and carpet with a plastic sheet then sprayed the grease all over the knuckle joint while moving the wheel lock to lock. didn't seem to do a lot at first but a few days on now and its all silent and moving freely like it should. at a guess i would say it just needed a little time to work through.

edit, yes mine i believe is a MK6 its a 2007 1.4TDCI FIESTA STYLE CLIMATE D (one of the ones with the silly color roof and mirrors)

ok new update time, its been a few days since i done mine and not the knock (and sticking) feels free and silent. i didn't even see the bottom joint so didn't grease that. what i done with mine was got a tin of spray lithium grease, covered my pedals and carpet with a plastic sheet then sprayed the grease all over the knuckle jointwhile moving the wheel lock to lock. didn't seem to do a lot at first but a few days on now and its all silent and moving freely like it should. at a guess i would say it just needed a little time to work through.

edit, yes mine i believe is a MK6 its a 2007 1.4TDCI FIESTA STYLE CLIMATE D (one of the ones with the silly color roof and mirrors)

Good! Can you post some photos or video where exlactly you have put the grease, please?

Update: I have try to charge the battery but the motor noise of the steering wheel is remain. I'm went to tire dealer and the convergence is good.

The last attemp (thinking to fix the noise of the steering wheel too) will be to grease with a brush and oil motor the top joint of the Steering wheel column... 馃槥

10 hours ago, Mirko29497 said:

Good! Can you post some photos or video where exlactly you have put the grease, please?

i'll try remember to get some pics when i get home from work in the morning. and i'll also try remember at the same time to update on if my "clunk" has gone or if last night was just a fluke.

Ok! Stamattina ho preso la macchina e il rumore elettrico era scomparso. Ho comunque ingrassato le articolazioni del piantone dello sterzo come video tutorial. Il rumore di nuovo non si sente pi霉 ma quando provo a testarlo in citt脿, si sente il rumore elettrico... non so cosa posso fare, penso che l'unico modo sia andare dal meccanico

morning, i havent managed to get pics but if you sprayed the knuckle joints in the video then you have done the same ones as me. fingers crossed that will have your sticking/knocking problem sorted, if not straight away give it a couple of days.

as for the electric sound its hard to make out in your video but if you can get a GOOD audio clip of it maybe try make a new post something like

"odd noise from power steering (audio in post)"

bit of luck then someone will click it to listen and you could get lucky someone on here may have had that problem and know the fix or at least know what it is and if you should worry about it.

good luck and keep us posted on the knock and the noise 馃檪

1 minute ago, YBTURBO said:

mattina, non sono riuscito a ottenere foto, ma se hai spruzzato le articolazioni delle nocche nel video, hai fatto le stesse mie. incrociamo le dita che risolveranno il tuo problema di attaccare / bussare, se non subito dagli un paio di giorni.

per quanto riguarda il suono elettrico 猫 difficile da distinguere nel tuo video, ma se riesci a ottenere un BUON clip audio, forse prova a fare un nuovo post qualcosa del genere

"rumore strano dal servosterzo (audio in post)"

un po 'di fortuna, quindi qualcuno far脿 clic per ascoltare e potresti essere fortunato che qualcuno qui potrebbe aver avuto quel problema e conoscere la soluzione o almeno sapere di cosa si tratta e se dovresti preoccupartene.

buona fortuna e tienici aggiornati sul bussare e il rumore 馃檪

Thanks! Some time ago i did see this problem to a mechanic and it have say me: I haven't never listen a such noise!

The problem is sometimes disappear, but is rare!聽馃槥

Good Morning, i want you update for this fact: Yesterday night, i have do a long trip (2 hours) and i have try the same feel of the trip where the noise was disappear some day ago. I have only turn on the climate fan (yesterday was a cold night and the noise was present) in down position for the foots and magicaly, after some time, the motor of steering wheel noise is disappear!!! What could it be ??

I will control next days to see what will appened...

Update: The meccanical noise is appeared again so i have started to search something on internet and i found something on torque sensor. So i have just removed the plastics covers of the steering wheel and i have put some WD-40 to brush the sensors inside of the toque sensor. I put it beetween torque sensor and steering wheel. The noise for the moment is disappeared and a little bit the steering wheel is lighlty...

• 1 year later...

IF ITS A MK 7 CHANGE THE LOWER STEERING UJ .

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club