Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoobost Engine Rattle at Idle

Sambocolz

Hi All,

Was on a trip to the lake district last weekend when I noticed a slight tapping noise coming from the engine of my ford fiesta when the engine was under load.

On driving back (around 200 miles) it had gone from a quiet tapping under load to a loud tapping at idle.

When the engine is cold it sounds to be coming from the front of the engine bay but as it warms up it sounds towards the bulkhead.

I had took it to the garage and they suspected the turbo to have gone which is common, however they swapped it and this did not resolve it.

I have attached the link to a video below showing the noise its pretty obvious!! - https://www.youtube.com/shorts/x-Wo5JWpG4o

The garage think it may be something internal on the engine such as a tappet which with these small turbo petrols being such a pain to work on usually means replacing the entire engine.

Vehicle is a 2014 Fiesta with 50K miles on it so am dissaponted with potentially having to replace the engine at this mileage!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts
Sam smile

Plenty of oil?   Sounds like it could be big end rattle.

Yes, time for a new engine I think 🤔 

Hi guys,

oil level is fine, was the first thing I checked. Frustrating as its been serviced annually its entire life, entire short life may I add!. Not too impressed, dont think ill be going for a 3 cyl turbo petrol again...

They are not known as an Ecoboom engine for no good reason. Look on the positive side you would have had to spend a lot of money in less than two years just to change the wet belts.

Update:

Apparently Ford main dealers are now wanting £1500 to change the wet belts. At those sort of prices I can see a lot of 10 year old ecobooms been just driven in to the ground and than scrapped.

Possibly the usual problem of oil strainer being blocked by rubber granules from the wet timing belt causing oil starvation.

Sounds like rod knock

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club