Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What the hell is this

Kevin Holloway

Got home last night, heard a bad rattling  sound from engine, looking down into engine bay of my 2017 Edge vinale, I see this cylinder  hanging off the pulley, took it out and it's some type of cover I think,(see photo's)  the third photo is where it came from,it looks like a single bolt that holds it on, can't believe  it came off, does anyone on this site know what type of bolt it is, any help on this is very much appreciated 

IMG_20220301_081900306.jpg

IMG_20220301_085701604.jpg

IMG_20220301_092753818.jpg

Its the aircon pully, there was a recall (R/2018/213) of 7th Nov 2018 to prevent that happening!

See this topic ... https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/104470-ford-recall/

Link ... https://www.vehicle-recall.co.uk/recall/R/2018/213

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks , I'll have a look, regards

Thanks , I'll have a look, regards

I wonder if Ford would still replace this or am I just clutching  at straws 

5 minutes ago, Kevin Holloway said:

I wonder if Ford would still replace this or am I just clutching  at straws 

Did you buy second hand from a dealer? If you did, then I'd be having a talk with the dealer as all outstanding recalls should have been done before selling onwards or they should have at least notified you that some recalls were still outstanding in the description of the sale!

• Like 1

Hi thanks for reply, no I brought it brand new, then I got the recall, took the car in waited and they said it couldn't be done because the tool that takes it out had broken, so I rebooked it in after several weeks, and then they said it was done, now looking back I don't think they did it.

• Sad 1

Did they charge you, and hopefully you kept the bill/receipt

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 10:00 AM, JImpster said:

Did they charge you, and hopefully you kept the bill/receipt

Do you have to pay for recall work?

4 hours ago, Pete Terry said:

Do you have to pay for recall work?

You don't if it's under warranty. Not sure though if it's outside warranty. May also depend on the severity of the recall. i.e. safety related or not.

12 hours ago, simonb65 said:

You don't if it's under warranty. Not sure though if it's outside warranty. May also depend on the severity of the recall. i.e. safety related or not.

I've never had a car that has been recalled, but my understanding is that if there is a recall it is because of a manufacturing defect and that the manufacturer and/or their dealers pay.

• Like 2

Taking  it in on Thursday,  we'll  see if they charge me. It's definitely  out of warranty.

According to the above link...

"Contact the local FORD dealership or manufacturer. You will not need to pay for anything involving the recall."

I would be surprised if they applied an 'expiry date' on this.

• Like 1

Check ETIS to see if it's still outstanding on your car.

If it is then the garage didn't carry out the work and it will still be free now, regardless of warranty.

However, if it doesn't show as outstanding, and the replacement has now failed, you won't get another free.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

According to the above link...

"Contact the local FORD dealership or manufacturer. You will not need to pay for anything involving the recall."

I would be surprised if they applied an 'expiry date' on this.

There are expiry dates for recalls but not vehicle age related. Recalls usually run for around 5 years or so. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It does look like they did the work, but did they, this car has only done 15.000 miles, and I question  why has this happened  again sounds dodgy  to me, anyway come Thursday  I'll know one way or the other, I will post back when I know more.

• Thanks 1

Does sound dodgey. No way that should have happened with the new pulley, and new bolt loctited in as per instructions. I think they claimed for work not done. Did you check on etis to see if recall was still there? 

I would certainly not be handing any money over for this fix. 

• Like 3

Hi all

Got the news back from Ford, and it's bad, they said the bolt had snapped inside  the compressor  and I have to pay, but as a good will gesture  the will pay 40%, it's still going to cost over £900, unbelievable, they informed  me the work was carried  out but because  it was more then 3 years ago they can't replace  under there warranty,  I think it's time to get rid,

• Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Kevin Holloway said:

Hi all

Got the news back from Ford, and it's bad, they said the bolt had snapped inside  the compressor  and I have to pay, but as a good will gesture  the will pay 40%, it's still going to cost over £900, unbelievable, they informed  me the work was carried  out but because  it was more then 3 years ago they can't replace  under there warranty,  I think it's time to get rid,

Time to contact customer relations at ford. 

• Like 3

price one up outside of Ford, or even go secondhand, if its been done under recall.

I would ask the reason for this to happen, esp as the recall has been done assuming correctly with the bolt correctly torqued. No reason whatsoever for it to fail after recall. 

Email ford and complian. 

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/ask-ford/general/other/contacting-ford-motor-company

• Like 1

Hi all

Thanks for all your comments and advice and support,  I am now in process  of complaining  to Ford direct.

• Like 1

Sorry to cause offence, but Edges are terrible, really bad warranty costs that's why Ford pulled it from the market so quickly.

Old Ford Cougar was the same

11 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Old Ford Cougar was the same

Aahhh... the old Ford Cougar. My neigbour use to have on in black with a full bodykit. I loved seeing that car and the noise of the 6 cylinder engine!

cougar.thumb.jpg.1082e7934e245626c5155207d56ae15d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

Sorry to cause offence, but Edges are terrible, really bad warranty costs that's why Ford pulled it from the market so quickly.

They pulled it due to low sales figures ... but they didn't help themselves, because there was little or no marketing in the UK, they didn't even train their technical staff until a year after it's UK launch! So, subsequently, technical support was (is) not the best. Add to that, the things Ford UK changed from the original US spec, i.e. no 2.7L V6 petrol engine option, naff standard headlights, launching it with Sync2 when the US/Canada market was already being building with Sync3 for 18 months prior (one way of getting rid of old surplus Sync2 stock and negating the shipping costs from Canada!), changing paint options 1 month after the official launch and having no stock in the UK at launch (so the wait for delivery was 4-5 months!) ... Just did the Edge no favours at all!

Oh yeah, and the silly recalls that were for problems that should have been fixed years ago!

If the Edge was built in Germany or Valencia, it may have been a whole different story.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, simonb65 said:

They pulled it due to low sales figures ... but they didn't help themselves, because there was little or no marketing in the UK, they didn't even train their technical staff until a year after it's UK launch! So, subsequently, technical support was (is) not the best. Add to that, the things Ford UK changed from the original US spec, i.e. no 2.7L V6 petrol engine option, naff standard headlights, launching it with Sync2 when the US/Canada market was already being building with Sync3 for 18 months prior (one way of getting rid of old surplus Sync2 stock and negating the shipping costs from Canada!), changing paint options 1 month after the official launch and having no stock in the UK at launch (so the wait for delivery was 4-5 months!) ... Just did the Edge no favours at all!

Oh yeah, and the silly recalls that were for problems that should have been fixed years ago!

If the Edge was built in Germany or Valencia, it may have been a whole different story.

Agreed. And the warranty bill was appalling 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club