Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S-Max EML not coming on

Candi232

Hi, I hope somebody out there can help me. My 2014 2.2 titanium x sport has just failed the MOT because the engine management light doesn’t come on for a couple of seconds when the ignition is turned on. There are no fault codes stored and the light isn’t on when the car is running. The instrument cluster doesn’t have a dedicated LED or bulb for this. When it has been on in the past it displays on the LCD screen.

The EML came on last week from an issue with the dpf. I had the vaporiser changed and a forced regeneration was carried out and the codes were cleared. Since the the light hasn’t come on. I bought the car nearly new so I know the car hasn’t got a dodgy past!

My questions are:

1. Is the EML designed to come on with this model when the ignition is turned on? I can’t remember if it did before this latest issue with the dpf.

2. Any ideas why it wouldn’t be working?

Thanks.

Hi Unofix, thanks for your reply. I have already tried this and it looks like all is ok with the cluster. The EML engine block symbol did not show up though, a different symbol was in its place. It usually shows up somewhere in the bottom left corner where the red temperature warning symbol is. I’ve attached a photo of the test.

A3168AD5-FCE2-42D7-8D24-47C29E4D78E5.jpeg

• Confused 1

Hi Iain, that's very interesting. The IC test is supposed to illuminate all symbols so very odd that the EML is not shown. I think the best quick answer is to try and find someone with the same model and have a look.

I assume that the airbag light comes on and goes off when you turn the ignition on ? 

Not a S-Max and slightly older Mondeo (2011 facelift)

image.thumb.png.4f854dad75344becf31212c571385296.png

• Like 1

The airbag, glow plug, seat belt etc lights come on for a couple of seconds all ok.

Can anyone on this thread with the same cluster confirm it is usual for the EML to come on at ignition?

• Like 1

It is a requirement of European legislation that there is a self test of certain circuits each time the ignition is turned on.

This includes: EML, ABS, Airbag, Seat belts, TPMS plus others (see list below). These have to come on each time the ignition is turned on and if the self test is completed with out a fault they should then all go out.

The Glow plug light will only come on some times, depending on the temperature and also the set up of the different types of  models. Trying to start the engine while the glow plug light is on, is not normally a good idea.

It looks like on your Instrument Cluster that you have the " i " warning, which maybe equal to the EML.

warnings.JPG

There looks like only one possible place that the EML could be on your IC.

If you look very carefully can you see an outline of the picture of an engine anywhere on the instrument cluster ?

IC panel.JPG

None of the warning symbols are fixed in those positions. Their location depends on how many are lit. In normal running mode the temperature is displayed on the left where the yellow i is in the photo. When the EML was on for the dpf problem last week the engine block symbol was next to the temperature ie where the red temperature symbol is in the photo.

Agree, the symbols on the bottom row change location. 

Also not convince the LED test lights everything as there's some missing in my IC.

The handbook HERE shows the engine warning symbol (from page 84). The i (information) icon will show if there is a fault, in addition to the engine symbol. 

I’m pretty sure now that the instrument cluster is functioning correctly.

Any thoughts on why the light wouldn’t be coming on? 

1 hour ago, Frembrit said:

The i (information) icon will show if there is a fault, in addition to the engine symbol. 

This is a very interesting case.

With this style of IC on the S-Max is it possible to have both the " i " symbol and the "engine" symbol displayed at the same time?

Unlike the other picture shown above of the 2011 Mondeo IC which seems to have a dedicated engine symbol in the upper part of the display the S-Max looks like the engine symbol from what is being said could be anywhere but only on the bottom line of the display. Do I understand that correctly ?

That’s right. The lights at the top are dedicated LEDs or bulbs. On my car the light to the left of the oil light where the EML is on the mondeo is some sort of traction control warning light. The bottom line is part of the screen and can display different things in any order. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that info Iain.

Do you remember ever seeing the engine symbol and the " i " symbol on at the same time ?

I think they have been on at the same time. If the EML was on for a fault, the i light would come on if the car was started with the door open.

A bit of a development…….My mechanic has just been round. He disconnected an injector and started the car. The EML came on so we know it works. He put it all back together then cleared the fault code but the EML still doesn’t come on during start up.  I’ve booked it into Fords on Friday as I think it must be some sort of software issue.

6AAD68FC-3E3B-4610-B46B-3827FBFA662E.jpeg

22 hours ago, Candi232 said:

Hi Unofix, thanks for your reply. I have already tried this and it looks like all is ok with the cluster. The EML engine block symbol did not show up though, a different symbol was in its place. It usually shows up somewhere in the bottom left corner where the red temperature warning symbol is. I’ve attached a photo of the test.

A3168AD5-FCE2-42D7-8D24-47C29E4D78E5.jpeg

Have you updated the IPC firmware recently?

If so you have uploaded the wrong firmware perhaps?

16 hours ago, Candi232 said:

The airbag, glow plug, seat belt etc lights come on for a couple of seconds all ok.

Can anyone on this thread with the same cluster confirm it is usual for the EML to come on at ignition?

EML should come on at ignition and go out at start up

The firmware hasn’t been updated as far as I know. Would this be straightforward to have done? Can it only be done at a Ford dealership?

• 2 weeks later...

Update…….took the car into Fords, three days later they tell me they think it’s the instrument cluster at fault and to replace it is about £2500🙁

Ive taken it out and sent it to be repaired…….fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Keep us updated, lets hope the IC can be repaired.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club