Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Spring Broken?

HousePlantParty

Unfortunately only had time to snap a quick picture of each spring from one angle earlier today, and I can't tell if I'm going mad or not.

But does the first spring picture (the spring without paint) seem to be showing more spring than the driver's side?

I'm wondering if it's cracked and dropped down slightly?

Reason for inspecting and saying this is because the car made an unexpected loud metal clang the other week, while driving slowly over the smallest bump you've ever seen!

I've not had to drive much this week thankfully, and it's felt completely fine when I did, apart from one singular time it made the same clanging sound but waaaay quieter, so quiet I nearly missed it.

Was driving on some atrocious Barnsley roads as well and the car didn't even make a peep! 

Probably going to get it looked at within the next week, but I just want to narrow down what it might be.

Rear springs look fine and there's nothing obviously loose or hanging off, such as the heat shield.

Appreciate the help, thanks!

IMG_1970.PNG

IMG_1971.PNG

They often break at the bottom and the broken bit often sits in the cup on the strut. 

Have a feel with your hand and you may find a broken bit there. If not then have a feel at the end of the springs, there should be a straight cut at the end, not a jagged one.

18 minutes ago, Tizer said:

They often break at the bottom and the broken bit often sits in the cup on the strut. 

Have a feel with your hand and you may find a broken bit there. If not then have a feel at the end of the springs, there should be a straight cut at the end, not a jagged one.

Ahh sound! I'll take a look tomorrow when it's light again, thanks!

I've had front springs break on several Fiesta.   They always seem to break a small piece off the bottom.

Don’t cut your hand whilst feeling around the spring end, if a bit broke off it could be quite sharp 

Measure the arch gap, if its greatly different that might tell you. 

(Though not fully conclusive if it may have had just one shock absorber replaced in the past, for example. 

I had a spring break and didn't know until it failed its MOT. No noise, no creaks, no different feel, no "one side lower than the other".

A year later, the other one failed just AFTER I had parked, and was stationary. I heard that one go!!! 

Prob easier to see if you can get a garage to put it up on a ramp for you (esp if they think they might get £160 of business).

9 minutes ago, alanfp said:

I had a spring break and didn't know until it failed its MOT. No noise, no creaks, no different feel, no "one side lower than the other".

A year later, the other one failed just AFTER I had parked, and was stationary. I heard that one go!!! 

Prob easier to see if you can get a garage to put it up on a ramp for you (esp if they think they might get £160 of business).

Yes it's quite often nigh on impossible to tell when it's just the lower pig tail that breaks off. 

If they snap in the middle you definitely know about it though! You'd hear it snap and when steering..!

Best way is to put a thick glove on (so as not to cut your hand) and feel around the bottom of the spring for a broken edge

I had this happen, went in for MOT and service and he rang me to say it won't pass as driver's spring is snapped so had new one and all ok..

Mine snapped reversing fast and stopping,i heard something bang but thought nothing of it then i heard a loud bang when driving like you have driven over something banging under the car,looked all over the car and seemed fine until MOT and service 4 months later. 2011 1.6 Titanium.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club