Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Fiesta knocking, CV joint?

Frembrit

Hi All,

Not my car so I'm not familiar with it entirely.

My friends 14 plate Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost is knocking and at first it was doing it with the near side wheel dropping in to potholes and drain covers but fine bumping up dropped kerbs etc. Checked for movement in the bottom ball joint, anti roll bar links etc and all seems fine, yet when we wiggle the wheel side to side (holding it at 9 and 3 o'clock positions) there is definite movement which can be felt on the track rod end. No movement on the offside wheel. Anyhow, we changed the track rod end but the problem is still there. The problem has got worse but is just seems random as to when it will knock. We went for a drive and it does seem to do it when turning right on uneven/broken road surfaces so I'm thinking CV joint now, however it doesn't always do it and won't do the typical knock knock knock when driving in circles. Are CV joint failures common on a Fiesta? Any tips on how to change one please? I can work out how to get it out the hub but are they held on with a circlip or do they just tap off the driveshaft with a hammer?

Thanks.

Has the movement gone from the TRE now?  Could be the inner tie rod joint if not.

CV joints/shafts aren't common on the Mk7.  They do have an internal circlip.  

Yes, though I wonder if it was more transmission of the movement that I felt in the TRE. 

Can still feel the movement when holding the tyre and shaking side to side, or if my friend rocks the steering wheel. ( No movement when holding off side tyre/wheel)

I must add that this is a driving instructors car, so I imagine the near side might be having a hard life.

Can't imagine there's any adjustment on the inner joint though. Advice appreciated if you know.

image.thumb.png.331479675b3a71b0f47fd30c7c698fbf.png

• Like 1

That's a misleading image.  The circled part is the end of the rack, not a separate piece.  There's no adjustment on the inner rod, once the ball joint has worn it just needs a new rod with joint fitted.  I suppose you could check the rack bolt is nice and tight on that end though!

• Like 1

Cheers, something to check when he and I have time. 

Didn't realise you could get that part on it's own, just found some photos and looks simple enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, inner rod was ok. 

My friend has covered over 3000 miles since the 2nd April and the knocking had got worse, turns out it was the bottom ball joint so we replaced the whole arm. Knocking noise has gone now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Frembrit said:

turns out it was the bottom ball joint so we replaced the whole arm. Knocking noise has gone now.

Good to know you have it sorted. Always useful to know what the problem was.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club