Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transit connect power loss

Jt84

Hello all,

First post here and hoping someone can help as I'm at my wit's end!

I have a 2010 Transit connect (1.8 tdci rwpa 110hp)

It keeps losing power at varying speeds but usually around 60mph. It Can be more (75ish when cold out), can be much less (40) and seems to be worse in warm weather) Almost always uphill but it doesn't need to be much of an incline

It feels like it loses boost? Or it's going into limp mode? Letting off the throttle will get it back temporarily.

It still has some power under a small amount of throttle input but any more input seems to lead to more power loss. It can just about accelerate on a flat or downhill but will lose speed up hill.

Its been to 3 garages who've run diagnosis but no fault codes? Its also had the most recent updates done. They all agree there's a fault but can't say what it is! This has been quite expensive too for absolutely no gain.

I've replaced the fuel filter (OEM) and various other sensors including Maf and fuel pressure sensors on pump and rail.

Could anyone please advise what this may be? 

J

I've had the same problem with the same vehicle (2009) and was back and forward to two different Ford dealers for many months. By chance a local garage took a look at it, they simply replaced the Air Filter and the problem was fixed !!

I assume that there is no 'engine management' light on ?

• Like 1

Thanks for the response

Yes, no management light or fault codes 

Right, I'm going to get a new air filter and give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes.

J

• Like 1

So, I changed the air filter and took the van for a run up and down the dual carriageway and unfortunately there was no difference.

The struggle continues!

Any other suggestions from anyone? A new exhaust was fitted shortly before the problem occured. Could this be a possible cause??

I'm starting to think it could be something turbo related as it seems to lose boost. It's odd that it seems fine up until the problem though (although it is a little whiny)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

J

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2022 at 2:56 PM, Jt84 said:

So, I changed the air filter and took the van for a run up and down the dual carriageway and unfortunately there was no difference.

The struggle continues!

Any other suggestions from anyone? A new exhaust was fitted shortly before the problem occured. Could this be a possible cause??

I'm starting to think it could be something turbo related as it seems to lose boost. It's odd that it seems fine up until the problem though (although it is a little whiny)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

J

Hi J did you sort the problem, seems like this is a common problem but no one seems to post any known solutions. It has to be fuel related, mine cuts out at junctions as well as all the symptoms you describe. Re starts no problem before losing power again. I’ve noticed it seems to happen after a couple of hours driving maybe this is relevant. I hope it’s not the fuel pump, there are no error codes. I assumed it was crap in the fuel pipes after letting the tank run low. It is so frustrating to see it’s a common problem and no one knows what causes it. 

Several reason this could be happening. So there's no way of isolating a single source. Most of this could be caused by the mass air sensor, air filter, Evap leak under the throttle body and it doesn't help if one runs bad gasoline in the van, plus have the AC on. if one hasn't already, they should have someone scan the system for any errors even if there's no error being displayed.

38 minutes ago, LostInTransit said:

it doesn't help if one runs bad gasoline in the van,

especially when it's diesel 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked back at this topic.

Sadly this issue is no closer to being resolved.

Still no error codes! Still the problems persist.

It was suggested I just keep driving it until something fails but I've done about 5k miles since then and nothings happened!

It's also been suggested it's the actuator on the turbo? 

I'm not sure about spending quite a bit of money on a new turbo and it still not helping.

I'm getting very close to cutting my losses now and getting a new van.

Sorry I can't be of much help but thought I'd update anyway

How long has it been since cleaning your mass air sensor? or have you even replaced it? The throttle body may also need to be cleaned. Next and more serious, your fuel rail/injectors may need to be replaced. it would be suggested that you have a compression test done on each sparkplug port.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club