Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Too soon to go electric?

Shinetop

Anyone see the tv program last night about electric cars and whether the infrastructure, mainly public and home/destination charging is ready or up to the mark?….yet…

What do members think?…

Didn't see the one last night, but there have been several lately on a similar theme. Lots of chat on the subject on this thread:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/121302-petition-against-government-banning-sale-of-petrol-diesel-cars-in-2030-petition-now-over-but-energy-chat-continues/#comments

13 minutes ago, iantt said:

Think it was a repeat from a few weeks ago when the guy drove a mache e around? 

Saw that one, then!!

Sorry guys, I didn’t realise it was a repeat!

The charging points that were out of order were alarming!

I’ll jump on the link mentioned 

cheers

5 hours ago, Jimpster said:

yes too early till your confident about infastructure and battery longevity and run times.

And battery weight - need a bigger, heavier car to carry the batteries as well!

20 minutes ago, RMurphy195 said:

And battery weight - need a bigger, heavier car to carry the batteries as well!

I'm not going to bother with batteries when I move over to electric, I've just bought a dozen long extension leads 🤣

• 2 months later...

Yesterday I was driving a friend from South London around the delights of West Berkshire and stopped at the Crab & Boar near Chieveley, a couple of miles from J13 of the M4/A34. (Oliver Cromwell is said to have slept there when it was the Blue Boar.)

Very large car park, and spacious inside, and I was impressed to see three charging points for electric cars. A canny move, I thought, that will attract customers from the local villages. (Chieveley Services also has charging points, the Gridserve website listing five with three different connectors.)

There seemed to be more staff than customers, though when we left my companion stopped to admire a Rolls Royce Silver Dawn in the car-park.

(This was only the third time I've eaten out in 28 months, and I know that prices have risen, but I did wonder at the size of the lunch bill.)

• 4 weeks later...

I can't help thinking that the energy price rises we're currently seeing are a pre-emptive moneymaker on the electric revolution. You can't [only] blame Russia when energy firms are boasting record profits and CEOs are giving themselves multi-million bonuses.

If everyone abandons petrol/diesel, the government will lose billions upon billions in "fuel duty".

I'm currently with Bulb. We don't have gas at all. They boast "100% renewable electricity" so why have they increased my electricity bill by almost 50%? I suppose we're importing all our wind from Russia as well now, are we? 😐 And why has the so-called daily standing charge more than doubled? What even IS that? 😕

Electric vehicles won't be any cheaper to run - the government will see to that, and for as long as we're producing electricity from fossil fuels, they wont be much better for the environment either.

I think I'll wait until they filter down to the second hand market, probably in ten years or so. By that time either we'll have a better infrastructure, or we'll all be dead anyway.

The Government will wake and realise susidising the nation is too expensive and stop the profiteering by nationalising [ of which i am not a fan ]. DON'T get me started on the standing charge.

We're in a bit of an odd situation at present where the price of even renewable electricity is linked to wholesale gas prices. The ownership model of the energy industry (nationalised or privatised, on which we all have a view I'm sure) won't make a huge difference imo unless the pricing basis is revised.

Found an item here which explains it fairly well:

https://www.goodenergy.co.uk/why-does-the-price-of-gas-drive-electricity-prices-including-renewables/

My general jist was that the energy companies etc are still making massive profits while increasing prices. Infastructure hasnt changed, neither technically have company running costs, the wholesale market has or is changing yet the companies still generate profits for their shareholders. If the profits were capped the resultant bonus could be returned to their customers. The raising of the price cap just feeds an increase in prices, if the cap was fixed in the end users favour maybe such extortionate bills would be diminished. We signed up to go green and now were reaping the whirlwind