Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Car SOS - electric conversion, what were they thinking??

StephenFord

Their latest car, a 1978 MGB, they decided to 'futureproof' it by converting it to electric using the usual Tesla parts bin. There already is a show (Vintage Voltage) about taking old cars and making them electric. Car SOS is all about doing cars up, with a healthy budget, and full team of qualified mechanics & body team keeping as far as possible to mechanical/drive-train originality.

Because of excessive corrosion, and Shell deformity, it was replaced. Hence with the addition of a battery conversion, the car lost it's originality in terms of chassis No. and legal registration. (If the petrol engine was kept, it would have retained it's original heritage)

This was just an awful episode, pandering to St Greta, and far from 'futureproofing' it, they ensured that in 25 years, it'll be worth nothing. Oh well, I'm an old man, what the h*ll do I know. Maybe next time, they'll convert it to hydrogen, or even back to petrol!

Not seen that one, starting to go off the show these days, tbh.

Yes, I can see where you're coming from - if you build up a new bodyshell and instal completely new running gear of a different power source it's hardly a restoration, is it?

The old MGB was never a fast car even at the time, but it was a characterful old bus with a nice engine note - so no, I can't really see the point, either.

Now, if someone just wants to build an electric car that resembles an old MGB using a new BMH Shell,etc, etc, that's up to them - but again, restoration it ain't.

Also showing my age when I say in the early 70's my then girlfriend's dad owned a Morris/MG dealership so I often got the opportunity to drive one. 

I've given up watching any of the car shows, it's all about the presenters NOT the cars. Brewer is the biggest [ insert expletives here } on tv.

Is it any wonder no-one wants to work with him. Vintage Voltage actually saves classics for enthusiasts, some makes i've never heard of.

23 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

Brewer is the biggest [ insert expletives here } on tv.

Now, the secret of Wheeler Dealers is to tape it, then you can FF it to the oily bits. All his sidekicks, Edd China, Ant & Elvis are really knowledgeable and interesting to watch work...

11 hours ago, StephenFord said:

All his sidekicks, Edd China, Ant & Elvis are really knowledgeable and interesting to watch work...

They are...but the show itself became so heavily scripted which is just annoying for those 'in the know'.  The really early ones with Edd were still the best imo.  I think the newest ones are on Sky, so I'm still watching the US ones with Ant as 'new' on Quest.  Perhaps they've improved with Elvis...but I doubt it.

Car SOS was never about the cars.  It's about doing something nice for the people.  If the owner benefitted from an electric conversion then great...if not, it does seem a bit odd.  Again, I haven't seen that particular one yet!

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The really early ones with Edd were still the best imo. 

Apart from that episode where Edd repainted a front wing of a Ford Capri with a rattle can and the finish was just awful, even he admitted on show it didn't turn out great! Still don't know why they just didn't get that properly done before airing it! 🤣

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Apart from that episode where Edd repainted a front wing of a Ford Capri with a rattle can and the finish was just awful, even he admitted on show it didn't turn out great! Still don't know why they just didn't get that properly done before airing it! 🤣

Think I preferred that tbh...  Proper backstreet garage stuff! :laugh: 

Watching Ant fabricate metalwork is all well & good...but it's not something that could be done by an owner in their garage on a rainy weekend.  The origins of the show were about buying affordable cars to flip for a profit with basic tools and low budget repairs, I'd prefer a return to that myself.