Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Motorway power loss due to high temp

dylank360

I've been doing a lot of driving as of late with my fiesta Mk7 1.6 tdci since the weathers been good 

I have noticed some big power losses on the motorway when in 5th i can't get passed 70 MPH and the power just drops off i have to go down to 4th or 3rd just to say above 50 MPH.

i went thought the usual checks and found the hidden test menu on the dash, when the temp in the coolant gets to 110c the power drops till it comes down 3 degrees (107-109c) in temp

Dose anyone know how to fix this or what i need to sort out   

The coolant shouldn't be anywhere near that hot on a 1.6 TDCI.  Most people barely manage to pass 90c even when cruising at 90mph.  I'm not sure the Mk7 'hidden' temp gauge is correct, the one on the Mk2 Focus wasn't.  

If the coolant genuinely is that hot, I'd suggest that the thermostat is stuck closed.

• Like 1

not had any warnings for over heating pop up tho the car is coming up for 100k so a lot of things are on the way out. 

iv ordered a new thermostat only £35 so wait and see 

new thermostat installed but i think its now the radiator that needs replaced  

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, dylank360 said:

new thermostat installed but i think its now the radiator that needs replaced  

Have you actually checked the coolant temperature yet?  I really don't think the dash display is accurate.

Radiators don't silt up now like they did back in the day...if it's not leaking, it's unlikely to need replacement.

• Like 2

Like Tom, I haven’t heard of radiators silting up for years, but even years ago when they did , it didn’t normally need replacing, reverse flushing did it. I do recall someone having overheating problem because the impeller on the water pump had broken off, but I think if it was that, you would have a more noticeable problem with overheating. I agree with Tom that you need to check the coolant temperature. 

• 3 months later...

so raditor was the issue but i went down the rabbit hole first with the water pump and the thermostat then the radatior got a new one off auto doc easy to fit so thats a plus.

car runs fine now no high temps or power loss