Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Trying to replace bog standard radio with Sony AM5T-18C815-DK


 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi

Ive probably made a bit of a mistake but wondered if there was a simple way round it.

Basically the bog standard radio in my daughters 2013 (facelift)Fiesta Zetec has packed up.

Now rather than just replace it with the same one, I noticed a Sony model (out of a titanium) on eBay that was going for only a tenner more than the standard.

I asked the seller if it would just be a straight swap and they said yes  it would.

Now tonight I have the radio out and it has diffrent fittings on the back. The old one has a mini USB fitting that is absent on the Sony and also only the Sony has an extra aerial socket which I presume is for the DAB.

It's probably a lost cause. But is there any kind of wiring adaptor out the that may make the job simpler?20220705_203047.thumb.jpg.d8194ee1b0ffce762791b2b0802c57c0.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

get an ariel splitter and a bluetooth head unit

The head unit is bluetooth

But but because one of the connections is diffrent I can't fully connect it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Same. I'm a noob to this sort of thing and presumed that the bluetooth would simply come with the radio.

Turns out I need a whole module and wiring to go to the radio.

I can find a module, but does anybody know what wiring I would need to go to the Sony radio?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

YOU DONT NEED A MODULE !!!!!!!! AT THE EXPENSE OF GETTING BANNED ARE YOU FOR REAL ???????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be fair, I can sympthasise with the OP. I have tackled a few jobs over the years with basically no skills/knowledge whatsoever, though I must admit the advent of YouTube has helped in recent years. With no knowledge, what seems to be a simple job often turns out to be a nightmare. I too have bought, 'plug & play' items in the past to discover they are only, 'plug & play' if you know how to 'plug', then, 'how to play' LOL

If I was the OP, I would just do a straight swap with an exact replacement, or, pay a bloke that knows stuff to do it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jimpster said:

YOU DONT NEED A MODULE !!!!!!!! AT THE EXPENSE OF GETTING BANNED ARE YOU FOR REAL ???????

Yes! I looked last night. My son's zetec fiesta of the same year has a blutooth module under the glove box. So I presumed my daughters fiesta would be the same, but there isn't anything there.

I can take photos to prove it if you would like? 

Like I said, I'm am a bit of a noob at this kind of thing, but when the seller told me it would be a straight swap I trusted them. 

Not really sure what I've done to annoy you to the point you feel you need to ban me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IwatchTV said:

Not really sure what I've done to annoy you to the point you feel you need to ban me.

I fear the 'banning' comment was on himself at getting frustrated trying to explain to you, and his use of shouty capitals! LOL you've done nothing wrong, never worry, & welcome to the forum...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I fear the 'banning' comment was on himself at getting frustrated trying to explain to you, and his use of shouty capitals! LOL you've done nothing wrong, never worry, & welcome to the forum...

I dont know how he thinks that I don't need a module. Radio won't get bluetooth without it, or am I seriously going daft?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From my limited knowledge (!), I believe there are 2 x standards of BluTooth. One will simply accommodate connection of a phone, the other will allow music streaming. Your daughter's car is almost 10 years old which in tech terms is a dinosaur. There may be a misunderstanding of what your expectations are. That's it - I'm all used up now on my knowledge LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah she just wants it for music in her car and phone calls.

Not the end of the world she can just buy a dongle.

Just with her radio going wrong, I thought an upgrade wouldn't hurt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok for what its worth let me stick my tuppence in.

Early or basic Ford radio systems did not support any kind of bluetooth as standard. There was an option to have bluetooth added as a factory option to many units which required the addition of a separate unit (made by Nokia) which was fitted under the dashboard on top of the glovebox. This allowed the use of bluetooth connection for mobile phones only. It did not support music streaming.

Models with higher specification radios came with Bluetooth as standard and did not require a separate module as it was already built in.

If your radio only has buttons numbered 1 to 6 then it does not have Bluetooth. If your radio has buttons 0 to 9 then it either has Bluetooth built in or it can have the additional module added.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Out of interest have you tried just fitting the replacement unit and connect up the main multi-way  connector and the standard aerial ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, unofix said:

Out of interest have you tried just fitting the replacement unit and connect up the main multi-way  connector and the standard aerial ?

Yeah. But although the radio channels work fine that way. Phone, blutooth and AUX are nonexistent. 

Think I may just try sending it back. Shame though as it's a nice radio.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, it's a bit of a nightmare. Lots of different versions of the audio unit on these fiestas

I think Jimpster was a bit frustrated because you didn't say on the original post what you were trying to achieve. You said the old radio had died and the new one was a replacement, so he was saying you didn't need to connect the extra connector, you could just plug it in and it would work the same as the old one, just without the extra functionality.

The extra connection is for the bluetooth module, which also handles the USB. So in theory if you want to get one of those bluetooth adapters you will have to run a cable, maybe you don't need to mount it under the passenger's dash though. You might be able to fit it into the secret cubby hole?

You can get a DAB antenna for the extra aerial, the cables are small so should be quite easy to route one around the dash and on the edge of the windscreen.

I thought about getting the sony DAB unit, but when I found out it doesn't support DAB+ I decided not to bother.

Your other option is of course an ISO mount adapter and get a standard radio with bluetooth built in. But the adapters aren't as cheap as on other cars because of the elaborate dash integration in the fiesta.

 

 

If you send it back, which route will you go?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TimothyMK7 said:

Yeah, it's a bit of a nightmare. Lots of different versions of the audio unit on these fiestas

I think Jimpster was a bit frustrated because you didn't say on the original post what you were trying to achieve. You said the old radio had died and the new one was a replacement, so he was saying you didn't need to connect the extra connector, you could just plug it in and it would work the same as the old one, just without the extra functionality.

The extra connection is for the bluetooth module, which also handles the USB. So in theory if you want to get one of those bluetooth adapters you will have to run a cable, maybe you don't need to mount it under the passenger's dash though. You might be able to fit it into the secret cubby hole?

You can get a DAB antenna for the extra aerial, the cables are small so should be quite easy to route one around the dash and on the edge of the windscreen.

I thought about getting the sony DAB unit, but when I found out it doesn't support DAB+ I decided not to bother.

Your other option is of course an ISO mount adapter and get a standard radio with bluetooth built in. But the adapters aren't as cheap as on other cars because of the elaborate dash integration in the fiesta.

 

 

If you send it back, which route will you go?

I dunno, I might just hold on to it and get a module somewhere down the line

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership