Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 Ecoboost radiator fan stopped working

Frembrit

Hi, 

Sorry I had a quick search but couldn't find the answer.

My friend has a 2014 1.0 Ecoboost and he said the radiator fan stopped working today, is there a fan switch somewhere or is it controlled by a module please? He can spin the Fan by hand and the fuse is ok.

He's an hour away from me so I can't 'pop round' so to speak. We managed to find the temp sensor on the thermostat housing but that appears to be for the temp gauge in the car. I did notice (via a video call) an electrical plug at the bottom of the radiator, would that be the fan switch or just another temp sensor for a module?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the fan only comes on if necessary, so not on all the time, dependant on coolant temp.  But on  most Fords, I understand it automatically comes on if the aircon is switched on (mine certainly does). So I'd check that first.

Thanks. Sorry, should have said he's done that check and it doesn't come on.

His fan is usually on all the time as he has the air con on all the time, also he's a driving instructor and the engine was hot. He saw the temp gauge during a lesson and had to pull over and wait for the engine to cool before continuing, fan still wasn't working and was driving with the heating on. 

I've not heard from again but the last thing he was going to try was to test the fan by applying power to it.

Don't think fan switches have been fitted for about 20 years now!  Controlled by sensors and modules nowadays.  May be controlled by the PCM rather than a separate module.

The electrical connector at the bottom of the fan cowling is for a resistor (which is still the conventional type) and looks like this.  That may have blown in the extreme hot weather.

Genuine Ford Resistor 1850718 | eBay

Image 1 - Genuine Ford Resistor 1850718

(Also...I'm sure you probably know this, but never spin a fan by hand when it's plugged in, they can still take power with the engine off.)

Thanks Tom. So much easier on old cars 😂, unplug from fan switch, bridge pins and the fan would be on.

Watched a few YouTube videos showing a control module but that was on a ST. Another video showing worn out bushes on the fan motor after 96K miles (Friend has 120K on his car), so will need to hear back on how he got on with the fan test.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frembrit said:

Another video showing worn out bushes on the fan motor after 96K miles (Friend has 120K on his car)

Sounds most likely, esp as you say he has the fan running all the time. Mine probably runs about 5% of the time.  But as you say, if he can apply 12v to it directly to see if it runs, that will tell him a lot.

Thanks. He managed to test it last night and it doesn't work.

New fan on order.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club