Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

RIP Paddy Hopkirk 1933 - 2022

StephenFord
聽Share

Many on here will be too young to remember Paddy Hopkirk. He was one of my childhood racing car heros , who I had the great pleasure to meet in Belfast when I was a teenager. He won the 1964 Monte Carlo rally, in a mini cooper, which he then became well known for a great range of aftermarket tuning bits. That's how I met him when he launched a range of 'car accessories' in the late 70s. A real gent, and had time for anyone who wanted a chat...

1446187229_paddyhopkirk.thumb.jpg.843d686a8a0d0443c85ab80c1d3571f2.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, StephenFord said:

A real gent, and had time for anyone who wanted a chat...

The likes of who we will never see again 馃槯

I never met him, but have seen him interviewed over the years and always seemed a nice easy going guy.

• Like 2

I remember the accessory range very well, and who didn't try to make their 850 mini resemble one of Paddy's rally winners? RIP to a true great.

Edit: just spotted that blasted predicted text had changed "Paddy" to "Larry" in my original post! Corrected!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I remember the accessory range very well...

In 1979, I bought a 'Paddy Hopkirk' petrol can, which is still in use today and sits in my boot. (recently restored with a can of Hammerite!) Revolutionary in the day as it's full of 'extruded aluminum' making it fire/explosion proof. Sadly in the day, branding wasn't as big as it is now, so there is no nice logo embossed into the metal, but I know I bought it in the Paddy Hopkirk shop, even more of a treasure now...

2095617635_beforeafter.thumb.jpg.f7c443571142547e79d3858399261ef4.jpg

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

In 1979, I bought a 'Paddy Hopkirk' petrol can,

Don't suppose it's still got 1979 petrol in it? Be worth a fortune now!馃榾

6 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Don't suppose it's still got 1979 petrol in it? Be worth a fortune now!馃榾

Interestingly, it would have cost 87p to full up then as opposed to almost 拢9 now LOL

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club