Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Specific Lug Nut


AlexFord
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello

Basically,I have a Ford Fiesta 2010 Titanium 1.4 Petrol.

I'm not sure if it's the right name but the lug nuts aren't normal ones where you need can take off with a specific wrench,they are ones that are harder to take off so that the disc doesn't get stolen,obviously its an old car so no one wants those discs so I want to change them into normal lug nuts incase of road side incident.My mechanic suggested it and wasn't able to take themspacer.png off since he doesn't have the specific part.

I don't know much about cars but I need to find this specific (attachment,don't know the name)

(I'm at work and don't have the car with me otherwise I would taken a picture of the wheel)

 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Locking wheel nut 'key'.  Pedantic maybe, but the nuts are the part on the car. :smile:

 

First question, have you checked the book pack & paperwork for the key code?  If you can find the keycode, you can have a new key made by McGard.

If not, places like Kwik Fit have universal tools to remove locking wheel nuts.  Not all nut types can be removed that easily though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Locking wheel nut 'key'.  Pedantic maybe, but the nuts are the part on the car. :smile:

 

First question, have you checked the book pack & paperwork for the key code?  If you can find the keycode, you can have a new key made by McGard.

If not, places like Kwik Fit have universal tools to remove locking wheel nuts.  Not all nut types can be removed that easily though.

I haven't checked the paperwork or the book pack, I don't have my own but I should find it online,

Also confused why I would need a new key?

Does each car version have different types?

I would like to atleast attempt taking it off by myself before paying someone to do it.

All I need to do is replace the lugs into normal ones.

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Not all nut types can be removed that easily though.

My mechanic said that aswell. He mentioned drilling through the lug but he said its very expensive and time consuming and not worth,he managed to take one off by chipping a bit but he informed me it might not be easy.

I feel like I'm missing something,can't I buy the specific attachment needed to take this off by hand?

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AlexFord said:

I haven't checked the paperwork or the book pack, I don't have my own but I should find it online,

Also confused why I would need a new key?

Does each car version have different types?

I would like to atleast attempt taking it off by myself before paying someone to do it.

All I need to do is replace the lugs into normal ones.

Thanks

Yes each car has it's own key.  Otherwise thieves could just get one key to remove the nuts on every Ford.  That wouldn't be very secure!  There are a limited number of key designs, but still way more than you could hope to just 'find' randomly by trying one from a friend or relative.

The key code is specific to your car, you can't find it online.  It's usually on a card with the handbook.

I take it you've checked all over the car for the key?  They're usually in the glovebox or by the spare wheel, but can roll under a seat or be hidden in  map pocket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The key code is specific to your car, you can't find it online.  It's usually on a card with the handbook.

I take it you've checked all over the car for the key?  They're usually in the glovebox or by the spare wheel, but can roll under a seat or be hidden in  map pocket.

I will check my handbook when I get home,

I've cleaned my car multiple times thoroughly and haven't seen it no but I will and look for it today,I doubt it but its worth looking, .

My specific fiesta didnt come with a spare tire kit,I had to purchase on myself.

 

It sounds expensive,but surely I can get the key code for my car since isn't nothing special. I will try everything myself hopefully and if not will take to a tyre shop then.

Thank you. Big help 😎👍

Screenshot_20220815-135527_Chrome.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, AlexFord said:

It sounds expensive, but surely I can get the key code for my car since isn't nothing special. 

Sadly not.  Ford don't keep records of which key goes with each car so there's no way to find the code if you haven't got the original key code card to hand.

If you've got a decent camera, some places can work out the keycode with a high quality close up image of the nut on the car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

See here for ordering a replacement:

https://www.lockingwheelnutkeys.co.uk/

 

See photos of 2 different types of Ford locking wheel nut keys and the security card with the number. In your handbook pack you might find the little card with the code number.

Example type 1.JPG

example type 2.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Sadly not.  Ford don't keep records of which key goes with each car so there's no way to find the code if you haven't got the original key code card to hand.

If you've got a decent camera, some places can work out the keycode with a high quality close up image of the nut on the car.

I see

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, unofix said:

See here for ordering a replacement:

https://www.lockingwheelnutkeys.co.uk/

 

See photos of 2 different types of Ford locking wheel nut keys and the security card with the number. In your handbook pack you might find the little card with the code number.

Example type 1.JPG

example type 2.JPG

Thanks for the Website.

I had a good look.

Unfortunately I looked everywhere in my vehicle and didn't find the lug nut or security code card.

I even took the mapping off in the boot,I looked throughly in the boot. No luck.

 

Thanks Anyways!

😎👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, OvEr_KiLL said:

look under the cover in the boot man and check for the code where the book is.

I also checked my book. Nothing

No Code inside the pages either.

I checked the boot,nothing.

 

Thanks anyways

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, AlexFord said:

Thanks for the Website.

I had a good look.

Unfortunately I looked everywhere in my vehicle and didn't find the lug nut or security code card.

I even took the mapping off in the boot,I looked throughly in the boot. No luck.

 

Thanks Anyways!

😎👍

That's a shame, but thanks for updating us!

McGard will only provide replacements from the keycode as far as I know.  So you've only got two options left now.  Either use the website posted above, and pay £46 for a new key, from a picture of your nut.  OR ask a tyre chain such as Kwik Fit or ATS how much they'd charge to remove the locking wheel nuts.  If it's much cheaper than buying a new key, that might be a more economical option.  Just remember you'll need to buy 4 normal nuts if you permanently remove the lockers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership