Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus engine replacement

Richard rj electricians

Hi I have a 2014 Ford Focus and my 1 litre engine has gone again this is the second engine to have gone, so what are my options I don’t want to lose the car but I don’t want to spend a lot either

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Richard rj electricians said:

so what are my options I don’t want to lose the car but I don’t want to spend a lot either

Those are really the two options unfortunately.

How long did the replacement engine last?  Was it new or used?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Those are really the two options unfortunately.

How long did the replacement engine last?  Was it new or used?

The second engine cost us £3500 supplied and fitted and lasted 2 years 1 day and that 1 day was out of warranty 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Richard rj electricians said:

The second engine cost us £3500 supplied and fitted and lasted 2 years 1 day and that 1 day was out of warranty 

That's incredibly unlucky. :sad:

I can't tell from that price whether it was brand new though?  Are you a very low mileage user?  What sort of servicing was carried out - perhaps the wrong oil or an engine flush had been used?

The best new option at the moment is from Pumaspeed but you're still looking at thousands of pounds. 

The cheapest option is to find a used 1.0 EcoBoost at a breakers yard to fit yourself or have fitted at a local independent garage.  But that's incredibly risky, and although cheaper, I wouldn't recommend that for this particular engine.

Hi it’s done 64k miles each time the engine has gone it’s on a long trip ie 458 miles.

can I put in a bigger engine? Without spending thousands?

I know there was a recall for up to 2013 just wondering if there still using the same engine?

11 minutes ago, Richard rj electricians said:

can I put in a bigger engine? Without spending thousands?

No.

10 minutes ago, Richard rj electricians said:

I know there was a recall for up to 2013 just wondering if there still using the same engine?

Same engine was used up to around 2019.  The very latest 1.0 EcoBoost has been majorly overhauled, including the wet cambelt being replaced with a chain, but it will not fit your car.

The reason I mentioned mileage is because a lot of short, stop start trips degrades the oil more quickly (moisture doesn't burnt off) and that in turn degrades the wetbelt.  As does the wrong oil, or engine flushes when servicing.

It's interesting both failed on long journeys though.  Perhaps there's an issue with the cooling system on the car, rather than anything in the engine itself.

4 hours ago, Richard rj electricians said:

can I put in a bigger engine?

Yes

4 hours ago, Richard rj electricians said:

Without spending thousands?

No

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club