Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aux belt slip ? 2009 1.6tdci

GYFocusLover

Recently my 1.6 tdci 2008 Mk7  started to make a squealing at low speed and juddering as the squeeling stopped. Ive read the squealing.could be clutch related or aux belt related, it's stopped currently but starts intermittently. 

The 1.6 TDCi uses a spring-loaded aux belt tensioner.  Very easy to remove the belt and run the engine without briefly to confirm or rule out the issue being related to the aux belt.  The alternator won't charge the battery with the belt off, so don't do it for too long.

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The 1.6 TDCi uses a spring-loaded aux belt tensioner.  Very easy to remove the belt and run the engine without briefly to confirm or rule out the issue being related to the aux belt.  The alternator won't charge the battery with the belt off, so don't do it for too long.

I wouldn't mind doing this unfortunately my issue is intermittent. I have my phone ready on record every time I start it to see if I can capture the fault.  

If possible pour some water on the belt whilst it is making a squealing noise and see if the sound changes at all.   But even it is not making a noise all of time I would recommend taking belt off and checking all of the pulleys to see if roughness / play etc.   I was stranded on M1 a few years ago as I failed to work out where a noise was coming from and then the tensioner wheel broke. The warning was there but I failed to identify the culprit

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club