Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Indicators not making a sound

AlanC2

The other day my wife commented that her indicators had stopped making the clicking sound.

I've had a quick look.  They still work, the instrument cluster lights flash, as do the hazard lights, but no sound.  I've had a search around the net but cannot find a definitive answer as to what makes the sound.  Some people say its the GEM, some say the indicator stalk and others the instrument cluster.

We purchased the 2 year extended warranty with it so have it booked in (Sept 15.  Apparently they are very busy!).  They said that once they work out what the problem is, they will be able to tell us if its covered by the warranty.  I am guessing that all the components that I mentioned (if it is one of them), would be covered by the warranty.  I cant see how they would be classed as "wear and tear".

Just curious if anyone else has come across this before.

Also, its due for its MOT soon.  Is no sound from the indicator an MOT failure?

Thanks

Alan

2018 (MK7?) Fiesta Active X

40 minutes ago, AlanC2 said:

The other day my wife commented that her indicators had stopped making the clicking sound.

Odd that, I thought that was just a common fault with BMWs as their drivers never seem to know when their indicators are working or not... 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Fairly sure there's a small sounder in the instrument cluster.  On older cars the noise was made by the relays in the GEM.  Do all the other annoying noises still occur (keyfree, belt warning, etc)?

As for MOT, there has to be a tell-tale for the indicators.  The tell-tale can be either audible or visual.  However it does not state whether both audible & visual must operate.  Potentially some tester discretion there.  But at worst, it is only a minor fault, so not an overall failure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Fairly sure there's a small sounder in the instrument cluster.  On older cars the noise was made by the relays in the GEM.  Do all the other annoying noises still occur (keyfree, belt warning, etc)?

We tried the "Key out of the car" and something else that slips my mind (maybe a door ajar) that worked, although they seemed to be coming through the Speakers.

We tried the belt warning but it didn't make a noise, only displayed the seat belt warning symbol on the rev counter.  We couldnt remember if it made a noise before as we dont normally drive off without our seat belts on 🙂

So, if it is a failed speaker in the instrument cluster, I am guessing it will be a replacement rather than a repair.  Hopefully covered by the warranty!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

However it does not state whether both audible & visual must operate. 

Fairly sure there has to be an audible warning for the indicators otherwise how would the thousands of blind drivers know when their indicators were on ? 😎

• Haha 5

When my seatbelt warning sounds, the indicator click disappears (or whatever the sound equivalent of disappearing is).  So that makes sense that neither are working.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unofix said:

Fairly sure there has to be an audible warning for the indicators otherwise how would the thousands of blind drivers know when their indicators were on ?

There is no audiblle warning on our 2011 Volvo S40, it has never failed an MOT.

1 hour ago, eddie eastwood said:

There is no audiblle warning on our 2011 Volvo S40,

So you're saying the Volvo S40 is not a safe car for blind drivers 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, unofix said:

So you're saying the Volvo S40 is not a safe car for blind drivers 🤣

On the contrary, that's why Volvo invented the seat belt, then all the following ensuing air bags, & crumple zone LOL

• Like 2

I didn't realise that blind drivers had crumple zones.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Bobr said:

I didn't realise that blind drivers had crumple zones.

I've seen those white sticks fold up to next to nothing!

I only have experience of 2008 focus mk2.5, iirc the indicator click sound came from a small speaker device built into instrument cluster, receiving a signal to click from the two canbus wires coming from the bcm/gen under the glovebox.  The same two canbus wires carried the signal for the indicator tell tale lights,  outside temp display and handbrake light.

• 1 month later...

So, the garage (Ford dealer) told us that the instrument cluster needed replacing and after quite a bit of effort we eventually managed to get the car booked in and the work done under the extended warranty.

When we went to collect the car (after the cluster was replaced) they told us it still wasnt working and needed further investigation.  So I guess the problem isnt the speaker in the instrument cluster! 

In the time between the problem first occurring and car being booked in, the reversing sensors have also started to play up.  As with the indicators, they work OK and the green/orange/red bars show on the screen but there is no beeping sound.  This is intermittent and, as is usually the way, it always works when its at the garage!

• Sad 2

The garage called back last thing yesterday to say that its now working!

I asked what they had done to get it working and they said they didnt know, it just started working.  Maybe they forgot to plug the new cluster in 🙄.  We will see if its still working at the end of the day when we pick it up.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, AlanC2 said:

I asked what they had done to get it working and they said they didnt know...

Don't get too excited, when it just started working of it's own accord, it's just as likely to stop again. But hey, enjoy it whilst it lasts...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Don't get too excited, when it just started working of it's own accord, it's just as likely to stop again. But hey, enjoy it whilst it lasts...

Oh no !!!

This "sounds" like another indicator joke 🤣

7 hours ago, AlanC2 said:

I asked what they had done to get it working and they said they didnt know, it just started working.  Maybe they forgot to plug the new cluster in 🙄.  We will see if its still working at the end of the day when we pick it up.

Not sure I could trust a set of winkers with my car if they dont know what they have done.

The service desk person said that maybe it just needed time to settle in.  Hmmm!

Anyway, a brand new cluster (£700 + £200 fitting) paid for by the extended warranty, so the warranty has paid for itself and has another 12 months left on it.  Its the first time we have purchased an extended warranty with a car.  The stars must have all been aligned that day!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AlanC2 said:

The service desk person said that maybe it just needed time to settle in.  Hmmm!

That's why they'll have been on the desk rather than working on actual cars... 🤣

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club