Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo replacement in 2014 Ford Fiesta ecoboost

alex1993

Hi guys,

I have a 2014 Ford Fiesta eco boost with 70,000 miles on the clock. After a recent vehicle health check at a ford garrage i found out it needs a new turbo. The reason quoted in the vehicle health check was the turbo propellers have a lot of play in them, causing loss of power. 

I've been quoted £1,424 for them to replace it.

I've personally never had any issues with this car before, so i'm tempted to get this sorted instead of trading it in. I've had a quick look at the used car market and the prices seem so inflated at the moment, i've seen some cars similar to mine going for circa £6-7k. I think I paid around £8k for mine about 7 years ago!

I know that my timing belt will probably need to be replaced in another couple of year, so that another consideration. But all in all despite the high repair cost, this doesn't seem to be an economic write off by any means.

Just wondering if anyone has bit the bullet and got the turbo replaced, and whether it lasted much longer? 

thanks,

Alex 

7 minutes ago, alex1993 said:

Hi guys,

I have a 2014 Ford Fiesta eco boost with 70,000 miles on the clock. After a recent vehicle health check at a ford garrage i found out it needs a new turbo. The reason quoted in the vehicle health check was the turbo propellers have a lot of play in them, causing loss of power. 

I've been quoted £1,424 for them to replace it.

I've personally never had any issues with this car before, so i'm tempted to get this sorted instead of trading it in. I've had a quick look at the used car market and the prices seem so inflated at the moment, i've seen some cars similar to mine going for circa £6-7k. I think I paid around £8k for mine about 7 years ago!

I know that my timing belt will probably need to be replaced in another couple of year, so that another consideration. But all in all despite the high repair cost, this doesn't seem to be an economic write off by any means.

Just wondering if anyone has bit the bullet and got the turbo replaced, and whether it lasted much longer? 

thanks,

Alex 

If ford replace it with a new unit, it should last aslong as the one already in the car. 

They can be refurbished, which would be cheaper, so would a used unit. You don’t have to with a new one from Ford.

The type of turbo thats fitted to the Ecoboost has a small amount of play in the shaft from new due to the style of bearing used. I would sugest looking at the inlet side to check if the blades are making contact with the housing. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/97EQ92t8nmPswZzG7

Also, you mention loss of power I would check that the turbo is supplying the right amount of air pressure to the inlet manifold by using a data logger such as https://forscan.org/home.html

You could also buy a new Turbo yourself and fit it they seem to go for around 800 ish but you would need tools so this may not be a good option.

recirc diaphragm on  these are known to split resulting in loss of power

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club