Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[Help / INFO ] Fiesta 1.5 TDCI ( MK 5 )

DCBURG3R

Good day all, 

Newbie here and first time owner/driver of a TurboDiesel engine. 
I got a neglected vehicle from a friend , and am currently trying to diagnose and list all the problems so that i know what i need to spend money on to fix er up. 

Im curious about some positive pressure on the rocker cover side, there was seemingly excessive blowby being fed back into the turbo's intake side via the rocker cover vent. 
How do i know what is too much? How do i check what is causing this? Research I have done suggests looking at the EGR valve or PCV valve. I know that there needs to be some pressure coming from there, but i doubt it should be this much. Then again,I am only familiar with gasoline engines ?

There is also a broken plastic elbow pipe that seemingly connects to a solenoid , which in turn connects to the turbo wastgate. This elbow is attached to a part that looks like a "vacuum pump" attached to the head. Intuition suggests that this broken pipe could cause the EGR valve to malfunction and to make the ECU to read incorrect boost pressures for the fuel map. 

Another issue I am clueless on is the central locking. Driver's side door works fine with the physical key or the remote unlock. None of the other doors respond. I have checked the fuse and cabling. Fuse is good, and cabling seems standard. Manually trying unlock the door with the handle does not work, pulling the handles dont open the door. 

Any information on these issues is appreciated, as I am completely unawares of what is going on under the hood of this thing. But i am trying to learn. 

Give us an idea of your vehicle spec properly please.

Mk5 is 1999 to 2002 (MK4 facelift)

1.5 Diesel is 2015 to 2021

Is it a manual or an auto?

1.4 or 1.6 TDCi

1 hour ago, DCBURG3R said:

Im curious about some positive pressure on the rocker cover side, there was seemingly excessive blowby being fed back into the turbo's intake side via the rocker cover vent. 
How do i know what is too much?

If 1.6 sounds about right

There is also a broken plastic elbow pipe that seemingly connects to a solenoid , which in turn connects to the turbo wastegate. This elbow is attached to a part that looks like a "vacuum pump" attached to the head. Intuition suggests that this broken pipe could cause the EGR valve to malfunction and to make the ECU to read incorrect boost pressures for the fuel map. 

This will need repairing ASAP, this controls turbo boost

I would recommend buying a cheap ELM327 cable and getting FORScan and seeing what codes are present, this will also tell you if EGR is working correctly

• Like 1

Another issue I am clueless on is the central locking. Driver's side door works fine with the physical key or the remote unlock. None of the other doors respond. I have checked the fuse and cabling. Fuse is good, and cabling seems standard. Manually trying unlock the door with the handle does not work, pulling the handles don't open the door. 

Check for broken wires where the door connects to the body.

Strip the doors down to see if any broken wires to the latch or that latches are seized

• Like 1

Hi Dave, thanks for the feedback. I dont see a edit post button so im adding some info here

4 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Give us an idea of your vehicle spec properly please.

Mk5 is 1999 to 2002 (MK4 facelift)

1.5 Diesel is 2015 to 2021

Is it a manual or an auto?

1.4 or 1.6 TDCi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Fiesta_(fifth_generation)#:~:text=Post-facelift styling

Sorry about misquote on the Generation of vehicle, according to this page i was under the impression it is a MK5.  Mine looks exactly like this and the badge says 1.5TDCI.  I can go get engine codes if need be, but hopefully the wiki page would be sufficient. 

Its Manual 5SPD and badge says 1.5, and is a 2008 Model if im not mistaken. 

This will need repairing ASAP, this controls turbo boost

I would recommend buying a cheap ELM327 cable and getting FORScan and seeing what codes are present, this will also tell you if EGR is working correctly

I have also just purchased a OBDII scanner ( ELM327 )  to link with my phone so i can do some onboard diagnostics. If i am not mistaken this should allow me to make sure all the sensors and pressures (boost and intake) are correct. 
Would the Torque app be suitable ? Or is FORScan superior ? Im not quite sure about what is what in the OBD world of things. 

If 1.6 sounds about right

That is good, at least (or i hope so), that i am not dealing with worn rings or a cracked piston. 

Check for broken wires where the door connects to the body.

Strip the doors down to see if any broken wires to the latch or that latches are seized

Is it possible to strip the doors down while theyre closed ? Otherwise, is there a way to get the doors open any other way ?

Wires seemed intact from what i could acess without stripping the door down. There was electrical tape, but wires were spliced to the same color. I think at some point someone attempted to tap into the central locking for whatever reason... lll have a look at trying to strip down the doors. I believe there may be something up with the latches 

Thank you for the replies, 

Cheers 

Here in the UK this is a Mk6.       It's not our fault that the rest of the world can't count 😉

Fiesta Mk6.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, posting back with some progress! 

My cheapo scanner I ordered online didn't want to talk to the ecu, so I figured it was the dud scanners fault. (aparently cheap elm327 mini bluetooth adapters don't like talking to Ford systems without a mod). 

Anywho, took it to someone who had a professional scanner, he could talk to and clear all modules except the ecu. When querying the ecu for a Vin number it comes back as a crapload of "F". All other modules report back just fine. Any way to diagnose or remedy this? 

Strange thing is the engine runs fine, all instruments work fine. I don't see anything out of ordinary in functionality. 

I fixed the doors not unlocking. Previous owner had an aftermarket system and ripped it out before selling the car. Two wires needed to be joined under the dash near the Gem and now the doors are locking and unlocking no problem. 

My issue is now that the open door indicator remains on. I suspect one of the doors microswitch, or the plug connector might be corroded. The boot hatch is also suspect since the boot opener button does absolutely nothing. Another day I'll try and track down that issue. 

I also diy fixed the plastic elbow coming from the "vacuum pump" attached to the cylinder head. Hopefully it's not over boosting considering what the previous owner had done. 

14 minutes ago, DCBURG3R said:

My cheapo scanner I ordered online didn't want to talk to the ecu, so I figured it was the dud scanners fault. (aparently cheap elm327 mini Bluetooth adapters don't like talking to Ford systems without a mod). 

Anywho, took it to someone who had a professional scanner, he could talk to and clear all modules except the ecu. When querying the ecu for a Vin number it comes back as a crapload of "F". All other modules report back just fine. Any way to diagnose or remedy this? 

If you were using FORScan then it is very fussy about what Adaptor you are using, but it connects to the ECU first, so if it can't connect to the ECU it will look like the Adaptor is faulty. 

Maybe a previous owner has had the car Re-tuned and that is why neither of you can connect to the ECU.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club