Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattling when accelerating in mainly 3rd (manual gearbox)

stoolzo
聽Share

Hi, I have the issue I've seem some other have where there is a rattling noise when accelerating in mainly 3rd 3000+ revs, this goes away if you hold the stick. I bought this used from availablecar UK and they are trying to fix it, their first attempt failed but it was a little better and the gearstick felt a bit tighter, they said they "repaired" the gear linkage. Is this even possible, is this a repairable part, I asked if they had fitted the revised part i've heard some people mention but they just keep saying they repaired it.

Does anyone know anything about said revised gear linkage part, what the old and new part number is?, I have a 2019 STLINE ecosoport but i'm guessing its the same gearbox, I have also posted on that forum as I need to know asap.

Any other advice would also be very helpful, the car only has 19k on it and its mint so I want it fixed rather than returning it.

Thanks 馃檪

I think its fair to say that if you give them 2 chances to try a fix the fault that you have the right to demand you to be allowed to take it to a ford dealer especially if there is a revised part.

No garage ever wants to refund a vehicle as its agro! So they will probably agree.

If its a common fault and there is a revised part a ford Stealer is probably your best bet.

Realistically no one is going to diagnose a noise via online messaging.聽

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ecosport2019 said:

Realistically no one is going to diagnose a noise via online messaging.聽

That sounds right 馃ぃ

• Thanks 1

This is the issue I have this is also where I read about the revised part any thoughts?

Well my first thoughts are, if it only happens in third gear that should rule out dual mass vibration and any engine issues.

Now if it was my car and assuming the cables connect inside the car, my first point of call would be to remove the trim around the gearstick until you reveal the cables.

Sit in the passenger seat with the mrs or mr driving and see if putting your hands on any of the linkage or gearlever socket makes the noise stop.

If it doesn't then you need to start looking at the other end. It could be something as silly as the cables vibrating on the bulk head/heat shields so i would pad between each of the cables and wherever they could make contact with ( temporarily of course). Finding noises can be a slow task but taking these kind of steps is whats needed, your local garage wont be that interested in spending the time that you will take.

And if after all efforts failed and i was pulling my hair out, i would stop on a downward hill, put it in third gear, pop off the cables gearbox end, start engine pull away in third gear and see if the issue is still there.聽馃榿

cheers very much, these are also my thoughts but i cant really start taking it apart myself while its still in its warranty period, i have however passed on your comments to the garage, much appreciated.

I'm sure that this has been mentioned before in the "early days of Mk8" and it's related to the link cables between the gearshift and gearbox. There was a Ford TSB from memory that had a solution for this. It tends to happen in 1st, 3rd and 5th and the link cables are secured more effectively around their entry to the bulkhead once the TSB is applied.

• Like 1

I had a look for this but found nothing about a gear linkage issue on the ford TSB reports, if anyone else knows it please can you let me know.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club