Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Fiesta 1.25 / 82 / 5 Dr Fuel Consumption

gab3x

Hi All, New owner (first car ever) of the 1.25 / 82 / 5dr blazer blue fiesta model (trend).

I am generally well pleased with the car so far but find it guzzles petrol. Now, I live in the countryside, work outisde city but venture to city centre say once or twice per week. I do not use highways as of yet.

I have been tracking fuel consumption which worries me as the average mpg was:

@ 500km = 33mpg

@ 750km = 37mpg

This is far off combined 49mpg the car is supposed to achieve. Now, it is rather hot in here (40C at the moment) so the aircon is working a lot but other then that I am beeing really frugal.

What is your experience on this subject? Am I impatient and will I see a significant shift as I approach 2500km of usage and the engine matures?

Cheers!

i was told by my dealer, that for the first few (3K) miles the MPG is not true to what the sheet says. As you said the engine must slightly mature, Im getting around 37mpg for mine now and i have 2200 miles on the clock.

Hope this helps

Rob

i was told by my dealer, that for the first few (3K) miles the MPG is not true to what the sheet says. As you said the engine must slightly mature, Im getting around 37mpg for mine now and i have 2200 miles on the clock.

Hope this helps

Rob

Mine is a 3 door, but shouldn't be too different weight wise from the 5 door.

The computer is reading 48.8 Average. I don't check it each fill up, but do regular checks, I am seeing high 40s most of the time, only exception was recently when I spent a lot of time in city centre traffic jams and that tankful gave only 40 MPG.

I have the air con on most of the time, I drive gently but not excessively slowly. Mileage just turned 6K.

Stewart.

It will improve as the engine gets a few miles on it and loosens up, my 1.4does all town driving and I'm getting 34.5mpg with 2400 miles.

TBH I was surprised at how little difference there is between the 1.25, 1.4 and 1.6, only about 3mpg in town driving, I now wish I'd bought the 1.6 as I find the 1.4 gutless. That said I never bought the car for performance, it's for my wife and MPG and a small nippy car was the brief, still a bit more poke would be nice, coming from a 300bhp Volvo it feels dead.

ive got a 1.25 3 door and its done close to 4000 miles on the clock and the max i have ever got is 42.22 and thats with motoway driving. town driving the max i get is like 30

ive got a 1.25 3 door and its done close to 4000 miles on the clock and the max i have ever got is 42.22 and thats with motoway driving. town driving the max i get is like 30

I'm much the same, am close to 6000 miles and with a lot of town driving it sits at around 30-34mpg. If I go out of town on the motorway or a 60mph A road it goes up to about 40.

If the car is brand new the engine will still be bedding in and won't get great economy until it gets to at least 10,000 miles. 33MPG is still good though, just drive carefully and keep revs down!

I have a 10 plate 1.25 zetec which has done about 2600miles

I havent reset the average, until just now, since i picked it up and with ultra eco-driving, many being motorway/a-road miles, the av. mpg was reading 40.9 (but had been slowly climbing)

I have however jsut reset the gauge and i will be watching to see what the average is now.

Also, does anyone know how to get the hud to show real time mpg?

Thanks

I have a 10 plate 1.25 zetec which has done about 2600miles

I havent reset the average, until just now, since i picked it up and with ultra eco-driving, many being motorway/a-road miles, the av. mpg was reading 40.9 (but had been slowly climbing)

I have however jsut reset the gauge and i will be watching to see what the average is now.

Also, does anyone know how to get the hud to show real time mpg?

Thanks

My Mk 6.5 1.25L Zetec Climate, '58 reg, has just clocked 6500 miles (10,400 km), and has only recently loosened off with some fast driving in the last 500 miles. The computer MPG reading is always 1.5-2 under the true neck-to-neck figure, and using the A/C and heated screens (mostly the front one), is a killer on MPG, as it is a heavy car, 200kg heavier than a Toyota Aygo, with its 68 BHP VVTi engine.

Just try an Aygo for MPG with 4x56kg sacks of potatoes in it!! I am sure the usual 61 MPG, at A-road 200 mile trips, which my wife gets with just the 2 of us in it, will be dented badly, even without A/C, as she doesn't have it.

2 days ago, with a hot engine, and ~18/19 deg C, I used the A/C, and the car really flew, as if the fuelling was being ramped-up to compensate for the extra load on the engine (the ECU would know the A/C was on.).

Even the normal idling gearbox noise had gone, and gearchanges were slick.

The last 2 tank fill-ups have averaged 35 MPG on the computer, but I used to get 40 on gentle use, locally, no dual-carriageways, until 100 miles south.

Winter use, with a new tight engine doing town trips gave as low as 32 MPG, and the gearchange was so baulky at 2 deg C that I had the dealer check the car. Temperature became mild, so typical Ford IB/IB5 syndrome found to be acceptable, at 13 deg C ambient.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club