Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New engine ecoboost 1.0. Should I do an oil change at 1000 miles after break in period or just leave it till the regular 5000 miles?

country roads

I've had two mechanics tell me to do it at 500 miles as bits of metal come of the engine as it runs tight when new and another one tell me this isnt really true for new engines so I thought I would ask here if any one knows any recommendations for this specific engine. Afaik the handbook says the break in period is 1000 miles but says nothing about oil changes. I'm also a bit paranoid about taking this car to garages to get oil changed due to the apparent sensitivity of this engine to different oils and that they might just use normal 5w-20 rarther than ford spec stuff.

Every new engine I've had I've always changed the oil at 1000 miles.   None of those engines has ever used any oil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not necessary on modern cars.  Engine parts are now manufactured with such precision that there won't be any metal hanging around the engine. 

Ford don't specify the first oil change until 24 months or 18,000 miles on the current 1.0 EcoBoost.

• Thanks 1

The "wet belt" ecoboost had 12,500 mile/12 month intervals, so if the engine on a Mk 7.5 has been replaced "like for like" that should apply.

Ford decided to increase this to 18,000/18 months when the Mk 8 came out, even though it was the same engine until the chain cam MHEV was phased in in 2020, and even then the 100 remained "wet belt".

Never managed to get a good reason for this though I suspect it was more for the fleet market and an attempt to match the extended service regime of VW Group cars. They, however, specify a different (even more expensive) oil for cars on extended intervals, Ford didn't.

Whatever, I've stuck with 12 monthly changes.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The "wet belt" ecoboost had 12,500 mile/12 month intervals, so if the engine on a Mk 7.5 has been replaced "like for like" that should apply.

Ford decided to increase this to 18,000/18 months when the Mk 8 came out, even though it was the same engine until the chain cam MHEV was phased in in 2020, and even then the 100 remained "wet belt".

Never managed to get a good reason for this though I suspect it was more for the fleet market and an attempt to match the extended service regime of VW Group cars. They, however, specify a different (even more expensive) oil for cars on extended intervals, Ford didn't.

Whatever, I've stuck with 12 monthly changes.

Ah ok thanks thats intresting. I am not sure if my engine was swapped like for like or not, all I know is that the engine was brand new and the oil cap/filler hole is smaller than on the old one.  But yeah Ill probobly just get an oil change at 1000 miles then carry on with the regular 12 month intervals.

• Like 1

I have always had my oil changed @ the  1,500km ‘free service’.It gets rid of any contaminants from a new engine.My son use to build engines(specifically hi performance V8 engines) always use to change the oil @ a couple of thousand kms.I had my Hybrid Honda’s oil changed @ just on 4,000kms.Then just go back to the manufacturer’s recommended oil changes.(which are time based)

11 minutes ago, Hackney said:

Then just go back to the manufacturer’s recommended oil changes.(which are time based)

... or mileage, whichever comes first, surely.

5 minutes ago, alanfp said:

... or mileage, whichever comes first, surely.

As I alluded to ‘time based’.Whether you do only 500kms in a year still get it done.This is what time based means.

Of course... but if you do 40,000 miles a year, do it mileage-based. That's what "whichever comes first means".

23 hours ago, alanfp said:

Of course... but if you do 40,000 miles a year, do it mileage-based. That's what "whichever comes first means".

‘Whichever comes first’, mileage OR time.If you do the allocated time in LESS than 12 months get it done, whether it is 3 months or 6 months.

• 3 months later...

I just thought of something so I thought Id ask here rarther than make a new post. If its a brand new ford engine does that mean it has improvments over the old one (if there are any). I think I might of read they added temperature sensors in the engine and mabye a better head gasket?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club