Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smax 2017 fuel range creeping up while driving

Gizbit

Hi there…

new to this forum but hoping someone can help…

is an odd one must admit.

Recently after having my rear brake pads being replaced by an independent garage I’ve noticed something odd.

The fuel range seems to be going up… it’s only been a couple of days and I’ve got 3/4 of a tank and haven’t driven the car much… but never seen this before.

Anyone else?

39 minutes ago, Gizbit said:

Hi there…

new to this forum but hoping someone can help…

is an odd one must admit.

Recently after having my rear brake pads being replaced by an independent garage I’ve noticed something odd.

The fuel range seems to be going up… it’s only been a couple of days and I’ve got 3/4 of a tank and haven’t driven the car much… but never seen this before.

Anyone else?

Evening. This is something I'm not fond of personally but the range is intelligent based on how the car is driven. If the garage has been moving it around their yard etc, then the range won't be as good but as you drive it on the motorway etc it will creep up.

For example, mine never goes above 200 with a full tank, but soon I do 40 mins on the motorway it is on around 305. 

I'd say nothing to worry about personally. 

• Like 2

Thx for the response Luke

will keep an eye on it as I’ve been driving this on local roads so would have expected this to go down as one would logically expect it to.

Will see how we get on over the next few days

2 hours ago, LukeJQuinn said:

the range is intelligent based on how the car is driven.

Intelligent? It's purely a computer's best guess.

Ignore it, and use the fuel gauge to decide when to fill up!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alan G H said:

Intelligent? It's purely a computer's best guess.

Ignore it, and use the fuel gauge to decide when to fill up!

Well yeah I use the term intelligent loosely of course. I don't like it to be honest I just like seeing the gauge. 

• Like 1

But seeing the range go up without any reason during the course of it being driven threw me… hence the question to the community 

• Sad 1

As I said it's only a computer guess, based on the way you are driving, length of journeys etc. Just ignore it.

• Like 1

It very much depends on how you drive it. I can drive nearly 100 miles at a fairly constant speed on a motorway and the range will steadily rise until it will be showing about 50 more miles than when I started. The computer is saying "if you continue to drive at this speed in this constant manner then this is the range you can expect". The range then falls off around town with traffic lights, braking and accelerating. It's just a guide.

• Like 2

Mine has done this. If you drive many miles at 40 mpg and then fill up a 10 gallon tank the computer will calculate range as 400 miles,  if you then drive 60 miles at 60 mpg you will then have 9 gallons left and the car will say at this rate you now have 540 miles left.  It can only predict miles remaining from recent mpg. 

On 12/24/2022 at 10:06 PM, isetta said:

Mine has done this. If you drive many miles at 40 mpg and then fill up a 10 gallon tank the computer will calculate range as 400 miles,  if you then drive 60 miles at 60 mpg you will then have 9 gallons left and the car will say at this rate you now have 540 miles left.  It can only predict miles remaining from recent mpg. 

I've never noticed this... And drive a lot.

However that being said... Drove up to the out laws today which was a 3 hour drive and filled up 3/4 of the tank. Then had to make  quick stop in between and the car range jumped up from 370 to 410 when I restarted the car... Then kept on creeping up until 460 Miles and then started going up and down... The computer needle didn't move much initially and then stated to move down.

Going to get it checked out today as this is odd 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Gizbit said:

Going to get it checked out today as this is odd 

Everyone here has just answered your question and told you that it's not odd. But it's your choice...

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club