Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Touch Up Paint - Is This Normal?

Mr Kipling

Having had my Fiesta 3 weeks before some person hit the passenger door in a car park I went to the dealership to buy some touch up paint.

Only £7 for the base coat and lacquer perfectly reasonable, touched it up but as the ding went back to bare metal wanted to give it another coat before applying the lacquer. When I went to apply the 2nd coat of base coat it took the 1st coat off and back to bare metal again. Tried it again leaving 24 hrs between coats and still the same, is the base coat reacting with itself preventing a 2nd coat?

Will have to just apply the lacquer and see how it looks - all dealings with Ford so far very good.

Edited by DanGull
SWEARING IS NOT ALLOWED ON FOC! This is not a hard concept to grasp - so stop doing it.

Having had my Fiesta 3 weeks before some person hit the passenger door in a car park I went to the dealership to buy some touch up paint.

Only £7 for the base coat and lacquer perfectly reasonable, touched it up but as the ding went back to bare metal wanted to give it another coat before applying the lacquer. When I went to apply the 2nd coat of base coat it took the 1st coat off and back to bare metal again. Tried it again leaving 24 hrs between coats and still the same, is the base coat reacting with itself preventing a 2nd coat?

Will have to just apply the lacquer and see how it looks - all dealings with Ford so far very good.

If it went back to bare metal you will need to use primer first before the base coat. Thouroughly clean the area and apply a very thin layer of primer. Allow to dry for at least 24hrs & then apply another coat. Let this dry for another 24hrs. Apply at least 2 layers of touch up base coat, again appply in thin layers and allow to dry inbetween coats. Allow a further 24hrs and then apply one thin layer of lacquer - allow to dry for several days before polishing & then protect with wax.

The trick is to be patient and not apply the coats too thickly.

Follow the advice above and you should get a decent repair. Once you have the primer on don't use the brush on the touch up pen but get yourself a fine paintbrush for applying the base coat and laquer. You can try dropping the paint in from the end of the needle but i have the most sucess with a fine point paintbrush, if you practice enough you can get quite good at filling in paint chips ;) ..practice and patience required ;)

A lot of people just leave chip repair sitting pround of the surrounding paintwork but what i do is use some very fine grit sand paper from work glued to the end of the rubber of a pencil and lightly run it down to the same level then polish and wax....not a neccesity but comes out decent enough on area's where it will always catch your eye like the bonnet.

Thanks Guys,

Couldn't be arsed going to get primer so touched up with the basecoat yesterday and the lacquer today, won't win any prizes but it should stop it rusting.

Will re spray the door at some point but no doubt some other divot will hit it again, I can see the sense in those door protectors on the Jazz now.

First new car I've ever owned so a bit annoyed, not too noticeable but of course I know it's there.

Thanks.

At the end of the day it would take awhile to start rusting as the panels are galvanised but even a quick repair is better than nothing ;) like you say it pisses you off because it's a new car and you know it's there even if other people don't spot it until you point it out lol

• 4 weeks later...

One of my personal wind-ups is people that 'ding' other cars when getting out. I have even had them do it while I am sitting in the car and then deny all knowledge.

I always try to park well away from other cars in car parks (not easy sometimes, I know)and walk a little further. I will park away from every one else and then some berk parks right next to me ! I avoid parking next to cars with child seats in the back as mothers struggling to get youngsters out can sometimes be rough with the door as it's the last thing on their mind at the time. Parking next to a newish car can sometimes be a better bet rather than a tatty old banger (look for battered edges on the doors).

Good job you haven't got a Fiesta in Hot Magenta - no touch up is available from Ford I discovered. I was told "If you get a stone chip etc., you will have to bring it into the bodyshop", he said, pound signs wizzing.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club