Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Airbag light where do I stand advice please?

Fordfootforward

Hi all, 

I bought a second hand mk8 fiesta from a well known ford garage (Sandicliffe) in June 2021. It had 16,000 miles on the clock. 

after 2 months of driving it the airbag light randomly came on one day so popped it back to the dealer to be fixed under warranty. All done and dusted. 

a couple more months later it comes on again, this time out of warranty so took it to my trusted local independent garage who read the code and fixed the problem (can’t remember exact code but it indicated a loose connection under the drivers seat) all fixed and happy. 

again, a few months later the same thing happened, repeated as I did before (dealer, fix)  then it happened again just after Christmas, this time the dealer re crimped all the wires and said it shouldn’t be so easy to pull out now. 

Then again today, it’s happened again, I  moved the drivers seat forward to get someone in the back and boom the light is back on.. 

just to add, I know everyone says it but, I look after my car very well, it’s clean inside and out, driven well (yes i know everyone says that) but it’s true I take pride in my driving and it’s only done 25,000 miles. 
Also, since the first time the light came on I have been extra careful when moving the seats backwards and forwards, I do it really gently. 

I’m getting to the point where I’m going to write an email to Sandicliffe, I’m not normally one of those people who email companies at the smallest complaint but it’s getting silly now, the car is out of warranty but it’s clearly a design fault with the car and is costing me every couple of months to fix. 

Has anyone else had this problem with their mk8 fiesta? 
Anyone done something similar and emailed their garage, do you think I’ll get anywhere? 

Thanks for any advice. 

• Sad 1

Can you post a few photos of the offending connector / harness ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, unofix said:

Yes will get one tomorrow 👍 thanks for your reply 

Had 3 x mk8 fiestas mhev and non mhev between the two of us and never had this issue so can't really see it being a design fault. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Had 3 x mk8 fiestas mhev and non mhev between the two of us and never had this issue so can't really see it being a design fault. 

Perhaps you're just not tall enough? :wink: 

I have seen this issue crop up a few times on the Mk8s, however I haven't seen any break as regularly as yours.  Usually it's one warranty repair and that's the end of it.  There must be an additional issue, such as wires being snagged somewhere, that doesn't generally affect other Fiesta's.

• Thanks 1

Someone who is sitting in the rear must be kicking the harness, once it's fixed cable tie it out of the way

• Like 1

Dunno if this helps, I had the same problem with my 2019 mk8 which I had bought from new 3 yrs ago. Airbag light kept coming on randomly. Took it back to dealer who looked at it but sure as hell the problem wouldnt appear when mechanic checked the car. 

After returning 3 times to garage a more senior mechanic said it needed a new wiring loom under drivers seat which I believe extends under the centre console and wherever it goes from there. Wiring loom was replaced under warranty and never had the problem since. 

I was told if airbag light comes on during MOT it can be a fail. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Someone who is sitting in the rear must be kicking the harness, once it's fixed cable tie it out of the way

I sensibly only carry adults in the back and I’m fairly sure they’re not sat there kicking it, however it’s a fair shout lol although the loom seems to be just underneath the front of the seat so would be quite hard to kick. 

On 3/28/2023 at 4:19 PM, unofix said:

32B9E283-D8B6-463E-9A63-EC921CBA337F.png

I’m going to try one more thing I think, the car has never had a new battery and the stop/start has stopped working. I as well since having it had the spanner light throw up randomly too. 
so I’m going to try a new battery and see if that helps my airbag cause. 

10 hours ago, auldreekie said:

Dunno if this helps, I had the same problem with my 2019 mk8 which I had bought from new 3 yrs ago. Airbag light kept coming on randomly. Took it back to dealer who looked at it but sure as hell the problem wouldnt appear when mechanic checked the car. 

After returning 3 times to garage a more senior mechanic said it needed a new wiring loom under drivers seat which I believe extends under the centre console and wherever it goes from there. Wiring loom was replaced under warranty and never had the problem since. 

I was told if airbag light comes on during MOT it can be a fail. 

That is very interesting, thank you Auldreekie. 

7 minutes ago, Fordfootforward said:

I sensibly only carry adults in the back and I’m fairly sure they’re not sat there kicking it, however it’s a fair shout lol although the loom seems to be just underneath the front of the seat so would be quite hard to kick. 

😄😄😄

I don't mean on purpose, obviously

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club