Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best MPG out of a MK2 Focus 1.6 petrol?

ManLikeEnes

Good evening people!

This is my first post on here and I thought I'd sign up, seeing as I'm with my beloved Focus and enjoying reading some of these forums about their Fords. Last year I got a 2007 Ford Focus with the 1.6l 100bhp petrol engine and as much as I absolutely love the Focus, one thing me and the family noted is that it's not been the most economical car, especially for my parents who is used to driving around in diesels. However I wanted to try and see what I could exactly get out of my Focus. So one day I went on an economy run whilst heading up north on the motorway as well as a bit of A-road. Over a course of 91 miles, I managed to get 56mpg which surprised me. It seems that it performs considerably better on motorways over town driving; I struggle to get 35mpg in town and usually average 28-32mpg. Driving normally on the motorway I can comfortably get around 42mpg but I was just wondering if anyone's ever gotten higher than 56mpg before for a 1.6 petrol. I aim to try and get 60mpg next week which will probably be nuts but I would love to share it with you guys if I somehow manage to do this.

What's the best you guys have gotten on your MK2 petrols? Would love to hear all about it!

1854950087_56MPG(Edit).thumb.jpg.d731a9b29cad693e46b75a4511d71ee2.jpg

That's really good, especially as it's getting on a bit now. Must be really well looked after.

There's nothing you could do, really, to make that any better

• Like 1

I've had my Focus LX for 4 years now. The best I have ever had is 38 mpg, however, that is measured with a proper tank filled to brim, driven with E5 BP Ultimate, and rebrimmed. If you are relying on a 'trip computer', well, lets just be kind and say I suppose it might save on paper/pencil but nowhere near as accurate :laughing:

• Like 2

Pump the tyres up to 36psi and slip stream trucks if you want a few more MPG.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yep, and ditch the back seat, duct tape rear door seams, and throw spare wheel into the garage LOL

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I've had my Focus LX for 4 years now. The best I have ever had is 38 mpg, however, that is measured with a proper tank filled to brim, driven with E5 BP Ultimate, and rebrimmed. If you are relying on a 'trip computer', well, lets just be kind and say I suppose it might save on paper/pencil but nowhere near as accurate :laughing:

I topped it up with 99 Octane E5 at Tesco's and then just went for it; tyres at 33psi, slipstreamed lorries for the most part, feathered the throttle etc. I did have some weight in the boot as well as the spare wheel so that probably cost me a little bit but I was still impressed to get into the 50s to begin with, never mind 56mpg even if it's on the trip computer XD I'm doing a long motorway journey next week so hopefully I'll measure it at the pumps as well to verify my results; I'll definitely share the results with you guys and see if 60mpg is even possible out of this 1.6 😆

6 minutes ago, ManLikeEnes said:

I topped it up with 99 Octane E5 at Tesco's and then just went for it; tyres at 33psi, slipstreamed lorries for the most part, feathered the throttle etc. I did have some weight in the boot as well as the spare wheel so that probably cost me a little bit but I was still impressed to get into the 50s to begin with, never mind 56mpg even if it's on the trip computer XD I'm doing a long motorway journey next week so hopefully I'll measure it at the pumps as well to verify my results; I'll definitely share the results with you guys and see if 60mpg is even possible out of this 1.6 😆

40 psi will help

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

That's really good, especially as it's getting on a bit now. Must be really well looked after.

There's nothing you could do, really, to make that any better

Only one lady owner had it before us; full service history, 50k miles and interior in top condition. I should point out that I did that economy run before it got serviced, since then it's had an oil change, spark plugs replaced, air filter replaced etc.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I might give 36psi a try Tom, I'm not sure if 40psi might be a little bit over for the Focus's recommended 33psi though Dave, I suppose it's worth a try for the run! 😅 I should point out that I just brimmed the tank and went for it, I didn't play around with the tyres, modified the car or so in any way, there was a bit of weight in the boot. It was due a service at the time as well, could just be little nitpicking but every little helps! 😂

I usually get about 30mpg around town. I once got 42mpg on a 200 mile round trip,mostly A roads and a small bit of motorway driving. 56mpg would be good if it's correct. I wouldn't trust the trip computer though.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club