Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine surging

Robert S-Max

Hi I have a 2010 s-max 2.0 tdci and it sometimes judders when driving and then it's fine for miles and happens again no warning lights tho

• 2 weeks later...

does it judder through the rpm range or is it more of narrow band? 

take note of the gear and speed.

Mine  (2008) does it once in a while but what i find interesting is, it's always 4th gear and 70kph , so around 44mph. ..

and 2k rpm. Feels like pulsating. luckily never experienced it in any other gear at any other speed.

like a resonance of some sort or something.

Yes exactly the same as you are experiencing but rpm is just under 2k.

Also if I push harder on the accelerator it stops juddering.

I borrowed my mates diagnostic machine everything looks fine the egr is opening and closing apart from  I noticed the balancing of piston 1 it is not the same as the others when idle but start revving it's the same is that normal?

Seems like we have the same issue. When i accelerate it stops as well.

I read somewhere, i think Forscan forums, that it's normal to have some piston unbalance when idling... but it's crucial for them to be balanced under load. I did the same test a while ago, idle was off by about 15% on one or two cylinders i think, but while driving, they matched up ok.

What's the mileage on the car? i got about 255k km / 160k miles.

134,569 Ive asked a couple of people and they said it's either bad fuel, faulty injector, egr clogged and one of the people I asked said buy some egr cleaner spray from Halfords and do what it says.

you need 2 people 1 to sit in car and rev the engine to 1.800 rpm and hold it the other sprays into air box it will make engine rev but will settle down and keep doing it till the can has gone I've done it about a week ago and it seems a lot better so hopefully all it was is egr getting clogged up I'm 4th owner and I don't think it was ever looked at  I read somewhere the EGR when needs cleaning at 100,000 miles I will update if thing change hopefully this helps you with your problem 

thanks, i was considering to clean the EGR this way, but i've decided to do it the long hard way - remove and clean. supposedly it does make a difference..it's quite a bit of a pain in the a, that's why it's been on my to-do list for a long enough while..

but anyway, at this kind of a mileage, i believe the injectors could benefit from a supersonic cleaning bath spa and testing. 

So a little update since I used the spray to clean egr it looks like it's done the job there is no more code for egr or juddering but when I go over 2k rpm there is a whistleing noise that I've never heard before it's not a boost leak not sure what it is

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The car is still fine started to notice when I accelerate I have engine hesitation just before 2k rpm but when I gently press on the gas pedal it's fine after 2k rpm can be floored and no problems