Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transmission limited function

Andreas B

Hello, I have a 2011 Ford Galaxy with a Powershift automatic gearbox, where I receive the message "transmission limited function." The car won't go in reverse, and I'm missing gears 1, 3, and 5 while moving forward. What could be wrong, and how can I resolve this?

Hi Andreas, 

While I've fortunately not experienced this myself, this does seem to be a not unusual issue that can come up with the Powershift transmission. On my vehicle there is a recommended transmission fluid and filter change every three years (or c. 35k miles) which from my own reading I have found to be strongly advised if you want to avoid issues with the transmission.

I actually posted a few days ago with a few queries about the merits or otherwise of starting servicing on a Powershift that hasn't previously had it undertaken and some of the thoughts from the group were that you could potentially bring things back into line by starting that now even if it hasn't had in the past. It's not a cheap job as I believe the specific fluid is relatively expensive (I think I was c. £380 for the transmission service at a Ford dealer when we first got ours) but could be worth trying that. @alanfp gave some really useful comments on his experience dealing with similar issues in the thread linked below that might be worth reviewing. It sounded like a fluid and filter change helped with his similar symptom for a period.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/151253-powershift-gearbox-servicing/

All the best with getting things back up and running!

Sandy

3 hours ago, macaulays said:

Hi Andreas, 

While I've fortunately not experienced this myself, this does seem to be a not unusual issue that can come up with the Powershift transmission. On my vehicle there is a recommended transmission fluid and filter change every three years (or c. 35k miles) which from my own reading I have found to be strongly advised if you want to avoid issues with the transmission.

I actually posted a few days ago with a few queries about the merits or otherwise of starting servicing on a Powershift that hasn't previously had it undertaken and some of the thoughts from the group were that you could potentially bring things back into line by starting that now even if it hasn't had in the past. It's not a cheap job as I believe the specific fluid is relatively expensive (I think I was c. £380 for the transmission service at a Ford dealer when we first got ours) but could be worth trying that. @alanfp gave some really useful comments on his experience dealing with similar issues in the thread linked below that might be worth reviewing. It sounded like a fluid and filter change helped with his similar symptom for a period.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/151253-powershift-gearbox-servicing/

All the best with getting things back up and running!

Sandy

Thank you very much for your response; I really appreciate it 🙂 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club