Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eco boost timing belt

Joe2024

Hi

I’m wondering if anyone can help.

I’ve recently bought a 2018 plate ford focus I’ve only had the car for 6 weeks and the timing belt as gone on it the car has only got 57000 miles on it and I’ve only done 900 miles my self. Would this problem be something what would of happened in 900 miles or would it of been happening before I got the car?

any help will be much appreciated 

Mk3 facelift or mk4? Private or business?

Mk3 facelift, I would guess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, unofix said:

Mk3 facelift, I would guess.

Yep, chain on Mk 4 ecoboosts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Mk3 facelift or mk4? Private or business?

Mk3 and private 

17 minutes ago, Joe2024 said:

Mk3 and private 

1.0 or 1.5?

It is known to happen on the 1.0. Just search wet belt on here. It would have been due a £1200-2000 belt replacement in future so many get rid of them at 9 years old. 

Even if it doesn’t snap it can block the oil pickup and total the engine that way instead. 

What is the service history like?

2 hours ago, Joe2024 said:

2018 plate ford focus

Wet belt due at 10 years of age, or sooner.

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

1.0 or 1.5?

It is known to happen on the 1.0. Just search wet belt on here. It would have been due a £1200-2000 belt replacement in future so many get rid of them at 9 years old. 

Even if it doesn’t snap it can block the oil pickup and total the engine that way instead. 

What is the service history like?

Was told by the garage I brought it to that it should of been serviced in may last year but it wasn’t.

would the belt have been deteriorating before I got it or would it be something that’s happened over the 900 miles I’ve drove it 

25 minutes ago, Joe2024 said:

would the belt have been deteriorating before I got it or would it be something that’s happened over the 900 miles I’ve drove it

The wet belts deteriorate from the very day they are fitted, that's why there are mileage and age recommendations as when to replace them. Some belts fail much sooner and a few last a bit longer. If you find scientific proof as to why, and how to calculate the failure date then I'm sure Ford would be interested to hear from you.

The previous owner could not have known how long the wet belt was likely to last. Given that it has failed in only the 900 miles that you have driven shows how close it was to them having the failure instead of you. The benefit of buying privately is that you generally get a better deal than buying from a garage. The advantage of buying from a garage is you get a warranty and are covered by the sale of goods act. You can't buy privately, get a cheaper price and expect the same cover that you would get from a garage.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Joe2024 said:

Was told by the garage I brought it to that it should of been serviced in may last year but it wasn’t.

Missed services, wrong oil, engine flushes and short journeys all accelerate belt deterioration on the 1.0. 

Are you manual or auto?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club