Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Echo Bost 6th gear

George72

Hi this may sound like a stupid question but I have a echo boost 999cc fiesta.  Its the first car I have had with 6 gears on what speed should I be doing  before I change in time 6th gear . As I have read that if you are going to slow in it can burn the clutch out when Chang  gear  . But changing down seems to use more fuel . Is 40 mph sound about right or is that to slow ?

Many thanks for your thoughts on this subject .

Andrew. 

You'll get a lot of different opinions on this!

You don't say which version of Fiesta you have, I'm assuming it's a non-MHEV 100 or 125ps.

The gearing on these is quite high - 40 in 6th is only about 1,365rpm. I'd suggest at least 50 for 6th and I rarely used it below 60 myself on my previous 1.0. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40mph is just on the cusp for this engine & gearbox.  Wouldn't want to be climbing hills in 6th at 40mph but should be fine on the flat.

It's only too slow if you can feel the engine labouring.  (Juddering and rumbling)  The clutch won't be too bothered but it puts a lot of strain on the dual mass flywheel.

• Thanks 1

It doesn't matter how many gear you have, labouring is labouring.

You either know what labouring is or you don't

• Like 2

Vaguely related to the topic of gears/economy. I'm now in Whitby for a few days, but road closures en route today led me to take lengthy diversions. So, a "spirited" drive through the Dalby and Wykeham forest area, largely in 3rd/4th and plenty of revs (no labouring!) and mpg readout still showing over 42. 

I rather enjoyed myself, though Mrs B was strangely silent.......😀

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club