Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it the engine or the new belt?

Stells

Hi. I have a 2013 1.0 litre Fiesta Ecoboost. I bout it 9 months ago. As it had done 92000 miles and was approaching 10 years old I had the wet belt changed straight away. About a month ago it started bringing up the dreaded low oil pressure warning. I didn’t have a clue what this meant,asked at kwik fit whilst having the suspension checked and they said it was to do with the cold weather.i booked it in for its MOT and asked if they could check it- immediately they said it was the timing belt. I took it back to the garage who had done the belt and they are trying to say that it’s engine wear and that it needs a new engine. The oil pressure thing only came up 5 months after having the new belt in. They have also told me that they need to send the engine to Euro Car Parts for them to check the belt as the belt is still under warranty. I’m really confused as to what’s going on. All I know is that the car was running fine despite the oil alarm and now it’s potentially requiring £2000 worth of repairs. What is the likelihood of the new belt failing? They have also told me that even though they changed the oil it would have still had bits of the old belt in it even though there were no warning lights when we had the car the two weeks before the belt was changed. I’m really confused so anything anyone can suggest would be really helpful. Thanks

Hi,

I'd say it seems unlikely for the belt to be failing so soon.  Unless they used the wrong oil?

Do you know if both wetbelts were changed?  Some garages only change the cambelt, leaving the oil pump belt.

They are correct in that there would probably still be bits of the old wetbelt left in the oil.  Impossible to get them all out unless they removed the oil pump and did two oil changes.

It's a difficult situation as the garage probably did do what they were paid for - changing the cambelt.  And the new belt probably is still in good condition.  But either the oil pump belt is failing, or the oil pump was already blocked to come extent, but has taken a few more months to block enough to trigger the oil pressure warning.

• Like 2

The garage say it’s the oil pump and that they’ll have to replace both that and put a new timing belt in. Is this normal? Also, would the pump failing come under the Ford recall of engines? I know the car is the right model and year but I’m not sure on the technicalities of it or even what I would do. I can’t really afford £1500 to fix the car but look like I might have to find it. Also, what’s a normal warranty period in work done if I do have to go down this route? 
sorry for all the questions… 

Unfortunately if the oil pump belt needs replacing, that is fitted behind the timing belt, so does require removal of the timing belt for access.  

If the belt is still in good condition, the oil pump itself can be removed and slipped out of the old belt.  Though leaving the old belt is a risk that the garage may not want to take.  (Especially if that belt wasn't replaced with the timing belt).

The USA recall is for the automatic versions that have an additional balance shaft fitted alongside the oil pump.  That recall is specifically for the belt tensioner required on those models.  It is not fitted to manual transmission models so they are not covered by the recall.

12 months warranty is standard for most aftermarket parts and work carried out.

They said that they put a new pump belt in when they replaced the timing belt 9 months ago. I don’t actually believe that so going down the route of trying to get original receipts etc now. This info is really helpful though as I really don’t have an idea 🙈

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club