Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Adhesive left by wheel balance weights ?

Ian Lanc
聽Share

Had four brand new tyres on the car, over the years the inside of our wheels is looking messy where the foam adhesive has been left.......Anyone any good ideas how to remove this mess without damaging the paint ?? I'm all ears on advice/tips聽馃憘馃憘

white spirits should do it聽馃檪

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dezwez said:

white spirits should do it聽馃檪

Go over it with a hair dryer first (don't ask permission, she'll not give it LOL), that'll soften the adhesive...

• Like 2

I just get as much of it off as possible with a plastic srapper tool, and rub with finger and then use tar remover.

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-10 at 12.29.36 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-10 at 12.29.35 PM.jpeg

• Like 5

I've been wondering the best thing to do with this too, with mine being unlacquered for a stupid matt finish, I wouldn't want to try white spirit in case it strips the paint. I've got tar remover though (for all the crappy "surface dressing" BS the councils like to do).

Will do the usual try an inconspicuous area first though, just in case.

• Like 2

Have/had similar problems.

What doesn't work:

• Turpentine
  • White Spirit
  • Industrial Pure Alcohol (IPA)
  • WD40
  • Petrol - [might have worked if I'd put a match to it 馃ぃ]

The best result I've had up to now has been Tar Remover, it's not 100% but with a lot of rubbing it does eventually get the sticky foam tape off.

• Like 3

A toffee wheel or even a pencil rubber might work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

A toffee wheel ...

Now, is that like a Wagon Wheel?? LOL

• Haha 3

Thanks for the replies guys, I've got some tar remover somewhere, I'll also get the hairdryer on the job but that won't impress the missus, she curses now how much lekky costs, so using it on car wheels will pee' her right off.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frembrit said:

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-10 at 12.29.36 PM.jpeg

This winds me right up ? Nowt' wrong with your wheels Frembrit look lovely, but Why does Ford not paint the whole wheel ? I know it's to save on costs/production but heck the grey looks bad, When the Fiesta Vignali came out I looked upon the gorgeous satin chrome finish alloys, then peered through the spokes only to see the grey.... What a let down and the Vignali is supposed to be the best Ford can make, surely the Vignali deserves the full treatment.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club