Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trying to add Navigation for 2013 Explorer

Adam716

Just as the title says.  I had updated the sync 2 to 3.10 and I have also hacked into the car's computer to tell it to allow for map installation.  The display now has all of the navigation options - I just need to add the actual maps.

So I went online and ordered the A12 disk for Fords, and this is where things got interesting.   When I pop the disk in, it does not recognize that a disk is in (it is 32 GB disk formatted as Fat32).  If I formatted other disks that I have using minitool partition wizard, I do have some success.  For example, if I format an 8 GB disk and put on some of the files from the root of the A12 disk, it detects the disk and starts to do some stuff (the data files won't fit on that disk, of course).  If I format my own 32 GB disk to fat32 and put an audio track on it, it recognizes the audio track when I pop in the disk.  However, of I take that same disk and copy over the contents of the A12 disk, it does not recognize that a disk is inserted.   I have spent hours trying to format the disk in different ways (e.g. different allocations, if that matters) - no joy.  Is it possible that the car can't read in that much data from the disk?   Are older versions of the map smaller?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

27 minutes ago, Adam716 said:

If I format my own 32 GB disk to fat32 and put an audio track on it, it recognizes the audio track when I pop in the disk. 

Just a couple of points. First Sync3 maps need to be formatted 'ExFat' not Fat32. Second is are you putting the CD in the same slot as the audio CD's ?

Can you post a photo of your Sync3 infotainment system ?

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Just a couple of points. First Sync3 maps need to be formatted 'ExFat' not Fat32. Second is are you putting the CD in the same slot as the audio CD's ?

Can you post a photo of your Sync3 infotainment system ?

Thanks for the reply!  Just to be clear, this is a Sync 2 and not a Sync 3.   There is a hack that allows you to install navigation in the sync 2 if you change a bit in the car's computer.  Once the bit is changed, the navigation options show up in "System" even though it is still sync 2. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club