Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does this sound like a transmission issue?

macaulays

Afternoon All, 

Quick question - would be interested in any thoughts. I have a '67 Galaxy 2.0TDCi Powershift and noticed a few months ago that I was getting noticeably more vibration in to the cabin than before, mainly noticeable at idle and low speeds, tapered off and was barely noticeable once at motorway speed etc. I then started noticing a few weeks ago that there was a bit of obvious juddering when slowing down and coming to a stop (a little like if you dipped the clutch a second or two late in a manual). This progressed over a longer journey I was making to the point that it felt like the car was about to cutout each time I slowed at a roundabout or similar and was feeling very rough at low speed and deceleration. 

I had read on here that Powershift sometimes didn't respond well to low battery voltage so, while I'd had the battery checked and was apparently okay, I got that swapped at a Halfords en route which does seem to have helped a bit. Stop/start has also reappeared which had been absent for quite a few months so that suggests it was potentially a bit low. 

Roughness/juddering now certainly slightly less evident, doesn't actually feel like it's about to stall, but still there along with the off metallic clunk that sounds like it's coming from roughly below the front seats when at it's most juddery/rough. Most noticeable when slowing at low speeds (presumably 1/2 gear or so) and when manoeuvring in reverse. I've had nor warning lights or messages etc but could transmission issues not quite enough to trigger a message cause the sort of symptoms I'm seeing above? Or something else entirely?

Any thoughts welcome!

Sandy 

Get the fluid and filter changed

Done but didn't make any difference.

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

Get the fluid and filter changed

Thanks Dave, it was last changed October '21, about 15-20k miles ago so isn't due by miles yet but would have been by years in the autumn this year. I had toyed with getting that done preemptively early in case that might address it but then thought if it didn't and the transmission then needed further diagnostics and turned out some 'bits' needed changed etc if that might mean that particularly expensive fluid fill would have been in vain/need to get drained again! 

But may look to get that done if the symptoms sound like general fluid change needed rather than indicative of any other specific fault/component needing attention. Tbh, I'd be very happy if it was just fluid as while c. 400 around here, that's a lot less than typically any other powershift repair as far as I can tell! 

Cheers.

Afternoon All, as a wee update, had the issue looked at by a local garage when the car was in for something else (perennially leaking thermostat housing, despite having been replaced a year or so ago...!) and their diagnosis was a worn DMF and other noise from the 'crankshaft pulley tensioner'. I confess I hadn't actually realised the powershift had a DMF but while not very clear when reading online it looks to indeed be the case. 

Would be interested in any opinions as to whether the above symptoms sound like they might tie up with a DMF issue? 

Would there be any point trying a fluid change before replacing the DMF or would that be wasted effort/not sure if the fluid would need drained/changed again in order to replace the flywheel if that was in fact needed? Don't want to do it twice if poss!

Have been quoted c. 1400 for the DMF replacement and the crankshaft pulley tensioner thing. Does that feel in the right ballpark?

Cheers!

On 5/10/2024 at 3:15 PM, macaulays said:

Afternoon All, as a wee update, had the issue looked at by a local garage when the car was in for something else (perennially leaking thermostat housing, despite having been replaced a year or so ago...!) and their diagnosis was a worn DMF and other noise from the 'crankshaft pulley tensioner'. I confess I hadn't actually realised the powershift had a DMF but while not very clear when reading online it looks to indeed be the case. 

Would be interested in any opinions as to whether the above symptoms sound like they might tie up with a DMF issue? 

Would there be any point trying a fluid change before replacing the DMF or would that be wasted effort/not sure if the fluid would need drained/changed again in order to replace the flywheel if that was in fact needed? Don't want to do it twice if poss!

Have been quoted c. 1400 for the DMF replacement and the crankshaft pulley tensioner thing. Does that feel in the right ballpark?

Cheers!

I have a manual but I had the clutch and dual mass done recently. It was around £700 for the parts alone I have a great mechanic and with the labour it came to about the same amount 

IMG_1550.jpeg

Many thanks Jim, that's really helpful. It does seem to be a relatively expensive part to start with so a not insignificant job but good to get a bit of a 'sense-check' against others experience in terms of whether the symptoms and diagnosis seem to tally and the costs being in the right ballpark. 

It does seem to be quite tricky to find much report of exactly how symptoms of DMF wear/failure manifest in the Powershift setup particularly and whether that varies at all from how it would appear in a manual and whether the repair job is any more/less complicated in the Powershift version than a manual.

Any other experiences to add to the pool most welcome!

Sandy

I'm fairly sure powershift does not have a DMF

Some Powershifts do have a DMF.  I don't know enough about them to confirm exactly which ones do or don't.

LuK Flywheel LuK DMF 415 0913 09 (schaeffler.com)

The replacement is pretty much the same as the manual.  Gearbox gets removed.  Flywheel gets swapped.  Gearbox gets refitted.

That slight uncertainty is something I've come across a number of times; it seems tricky to confirm absolutely whether there is indeed one in there or not! Keen to try and make sure before I go ahead with the work.....I wonder where would be an authoritative source to confirm if some variants do/don't have them and how to tell what I have?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club