Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Connect 1.8 Tddi immobiliser fault

Darrell John

Hi, I'm new to this forum stuff so apologies in advance if my post is too long and rambling but I find myself in a desperate situation.

I've had an intermittent problem with the immobiliser on my partners 2004 Transit Connect that has now become permanent.

With ignition off and key out the red LED on instrument cluster would flash slowly. As soon as key on (before going to crank/start) the LED would flash rapidly for a minute then flash out codes. The codes were inconsistent, sometimes 23 sometimes 22 and I've even seen 15. On occasions it would crank and fire up; even with the cluster LED flashing! On other occasions it would just crank and not run. Sometimes when it did start the idle would be a little rough, felt like fuel starvation, and would stall if you tried to raise the revs/drive. We learnt to hold the revs at around 1000 -1200 while she 'panted' for a minute before clearing to an even idle and she then became drivable. I changed the fuel and air filters to no effect. An experienced DIYer mechanic mate suggested overhauling the pump. This I never got around to doing as the situation progressed to the immobiliser issue with occasional crank non-starts. Using an Autel 'dongle/buetooth' diagnostics I was getting a range of codes, inconsistently, but to include P1664, P1554, B2139 and B2141. A professional Auto Locksmith suggested that the pump PCU could be causing the immobiliser fault. At that point in the conversation I hadn't told him about the previous rough running, so I removed the PCU leaving the pump still in situ, and sent it off to a company called 'ECU Testing' who subsequently gave it the all clear. They did offer to rebuild it for a 'fat fee' as they were aware of the intermittent nature of my issues. I declined. With it refitted I was back to the same intermittent starting and same fault codes. At some point along the way I had also changed the electrical connection on the back of the barrel, to no effect.

At this point I dug out an old laptop and set-up Forscan to try and dig a bit deeper into the Ford Pats. Here, as to be expected, I was getting similar codes, although as I'd now reached the point of permanent immobilisation I eventually lost the P1664 and P1554. I'm fairly consistently getting the B2139 and 22 or 23 flashed out on the cluster. According to Forscan the PATS module is in the PCM. I then ran the PATS initialisation several times but it would never complete with a 'warning window' of "more than one cycle of the ignition may be required to complete the module reset"

I then purchased a pre-owned matching set of 2 keys/barrel, transceiver ring, PCM, instrument cluster, BCM and the central locking security module.

I first tried changing just the transceiver ring; thinking something might be breaking down intermittently on energising/reading my original key transponder. No change.

I then swapped out the PCM (which according to Forscan contains the PATS module) and strapped one of the new keys to the transceiver that was left hanging down; my thinking being that from the replacement 'set' the only matching 'codes' are in the transponder and PCM which also incorporates the PATS module. No change.

Then the IC; no change and finally BCM, no change. I even changed the security module although I've read that it has nothing to do with the PATS.

I ran all of the tests in Forscan successfully but the one on the PCM returned an Error message "Test has been interupted, please contact developers".

I then ran the PATS initialisation several times, but again it would never complete giving a 'warning window' of "more than one cycle of the ignition may be required to complete the module reset"

Its baffling and frustrating me now, that even with a complete 'set' swapped in I'm getting the same B2139 fault code and cant see anything else in Forscan to try and help me.

What have I done wrong/doing wrong, what else can I do? I don't want to 'poke' around any more without a specific direction from someone who knows exactly what to do.

Any help will be much appreciated as my partner fears she will have to scrap her beloved van.
Ta, Darrell.

Everything suggests to me the problem is with the diesel pump. It is an integrated part of the PATS system and it would be almost impossible to fully test it to see if it was electronically working with regards to the security aspect.

I think you will find that PATS for a TDDI consists of the Key, PCM & the fuel injection pump.
The error you have now is because you have fitted a different PCM.

Connect DTC.pdf

Thanks for your input unofix and Dan62. I've alread thought about going back to the begining of my problems, the fueling issues 1664 and 1554, and getting a factory remanufactured pump, then see if the immobiliser issue resolves. What still doesnt quite make sense is that a couple of suppliers have said the pumps on the Tddi dont need reprogramming back to the PCM . . . so do they not hold any "code" and therefore should be interchangeable?

Ta, Darrell.

Seems that earlier TDDI had a different pump.

Diesel.pdf

• Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club