Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Gearbox/Poweshift issue

Vickyod

Hi All, I have a 2017 Focus Auto Powershift.  Just had gearbox replaced with a reconditioned one, soon as this was done I have a noise from under bonnet, like a loud rattle, slightly lower when in neutral but generally the same doesnt change at speed etc.

Mechanic now unsure what is causing it. Suggesting Flywheel, another big job after a very expensive one, anyone come across this? End of my tether (and bank balance!) with this car!!

• Sad 2

Does it change with engine RPM?

Hi Tom, no it doesn't seem to.....slightly lower grumble in neutral is all.  The sound it like a diesel engine but LOUD

That's very odd but a good sign.  If it was anything on the engine it should increase with RPM.  And anything on the gearbox it should increase with MPH.

So I reckon something is just slightly loose after being refitted but not actually broken.  Could be something like the air filter box or intercooler pipes.

I don't think we'll be able to diagnose it over the internet, so I would recommend taking it to another mechanic (or even a knowledgeable friend or relative) to give it a proper look over and poke everything while the engine is running to try and work out where the noise is coming from.

Thank you Tom I have asked another mechanic to give a look at it.  Although twice this week, service ENGINE NOW message has popped up, yet nothing showing when plugged in....another issue? What do you think.....

1 hour ago, Vickyod said:

Thank you Tom I have asked another mechanic to give a look at it.  Although twice this week, SERVICE ENGINE NOW message has popped up, yet nothing showing when plugged in....another issue? What do you think.....

Could be a separate issue.  Needs to be plugged into a Ford specific diagnostic tool to read those codes.  They won't show up on generic garage scanners.

You can use Forscan to read the codes yourself.  Otherwise it'll have to be a Ford dealer, but they'll charge £150 or more just to read the codes.

Sorry Tom what is Forscan, and thank you for your help

Forscan is a diagnostic app specifically for Fords that anyone can use with a laptop or smartphone.

The choices for adapter are below (courtesy of Unofix).

FORScan (for use with Windows Laptop) : https://forscan.org/download.html

vLinker FS, cable for laptop: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-vLinker-Adapter-FORScan-MS-CAN/dp/B0952P4MLP

vLinker FD, for android phone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-Bluetooth-vLinker-Scanner-Diagnostic/dp/B08H82WC8L

vLinker FD+, for iPhone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-Bluetooth-vLinker-Scanner-Diagnostic/dp/B08H8JHWP2

• Like 1

With regard to my rattle I asked another two mechanics who said the shims/adaptions is most likely my noise/vibration issue so i have gone back to my mechanic with that info.....

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2024 at 9:55 AM, Vickyod said:

Hi All, I have a 2017 Focus Auto Powershift.  Just had gearbox replaced with a reconditioned one, soon as this was done I have a noise from under bonnet, like a loud rattle, slightly lower when in neutral but generally the same doesnt change at speed etc.

Mechanic now unsure what is causing it. Suggesting Flywheel, another big job after a very expensive one, anyone come across this? End of my tether (and bank balance!) with this car!!

Engine spec please?

It is a 2017 Focus Zetec 1.5TD 120PS Poweshift

Very rare for a late DCT450 to go down, it sounds like the replacement box is faulty too.

Just ensure there's no electrical faults on the vehicle

On 5/24/2024 at 10:39 AM, DaveT70 said:

Engine spec please?

Hi Dave, i have a 2019 Focus MK4 1.0 ecoboost automatic and after a 50/60 mile motorway drive, the D indicator on the dash starts flickering and sometimes also displays the engine check light and enters safety mode. The vehicle is still under warranty , and the dealer , after 4 attempts to solve this problem just keep saying that they cannot find any error code registered. Last time they told me to go to the motorway untill the D light starts flickering and return to the dealer without turning the engine off 😞

The car has now 40450 miles, can you help me out ? any ideas

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2024 at 3:01 PM, MCrown said:

The vehicle is still under warranty , and the dealer , after 4 attempts to solve this problem just keep saying that they cannot find any error code registered. Last time they told me to go to the motorway untill the D light starts flickering and return to the dealer without turning the engine off 😞

Hi, sorry for late response.

Yes, do as the dealer requests, or you could set yourself up with a decent lead and FORScan on a laptop and carry that around in the car.

When the vehicle goes in to fault mode do not switch off and deactivate Stop/Start too

Connect the laptop and FORScan and read the DTCs or drive to the nearest dealer

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club